Replies

• If it's true, this doesn't bug me on a "They're raping my childhood" level - after all,  this isn't the Golden Age Alan Scott, merely a new variation on the theme.

Instead, it lets me feel smug because now my initial "Whatever character it is, it won't be one of the headliners" reaction seems to have been confirmed.

On the other hand, gay or straight, he better still wear his power ring on his left hand!

• There were plenty of rumors to that effect all week, so I'm not surprised. And I agree with the Baron -- it's not the original Alan Scott, who is still straight in all of my back issues, so NBD. It'll be interesting to see if these new iterations of (the presumably straight) Jay Garrick and Alan Scott are still best friends.

• ...How's this going to be explained in the " real world " press ?

" It's Green Lantern , but it's not ' the ' Green Lantern...and no , it's not that one , either !!!!!!!!! ( I.e. , neither Hal nor John - Hal has the ( would-be _ movie franchise now , John was in fairly large-time media BEFORE Hal...and has been credited as perhaps starting backlash against the GL feature , with people who think that John was " the " Green Lantern thinking DC was overlooking an established black here...Which , in a sense , they WERE . But.........)

Is Alan still from Earth-2 ??? If not , is he a now-elderly man , who was gay in a pre-Stonewall world ???

• ..." Silver fox/tiger " , if not " elderly " :-) ???????????

• ...Trudeau had been the one controlling artist on DOONESBURY from the beginning...Do you think that any earlier Doonesbury strips even can be interpreted as indicating that Mark has any inclination that way , looked at today ?????????

My ( Pretty Republican , I believe - Perhaps they just thought it seemed interestingly different . ) home-county paper carried Doonesbury from pretty early on , perhaps the beginning of its syndication?? I remember an ealy Doonesbury strip that ended with Mark accepting some chocolate-chip cookies proferred by Mike , with Mike saying " Even revolutionaries like chocolate chip cookies . " . I always thought that shoulda been the title of a Doonesbury book !!!!!!!!!!!

Sweatshirts ? Stickers ? Of course , Trudeau has always been rather " pure " about merchandising , ( Ivy League-ish ??? Snobbish ??? ) in general.........

Perhaps Trudeau thought that seemd to " not the good side of Charles Schulz "-ian...........

• Doesn't seem very interesting to me.  They decided to make their comics (a little) more inclusive and (a little) more reflective of the real world.  They picked one character - ONE - and as part of the "New 52" revamp, changed his sexual orientation.  The answer to all of those questions, as far as I'm concerned, is "really, who cares?"

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Or more than friends?  I wonder how they decided?  Was it like Diana being Zeus's daughter where it was the will of the writer?  Did they have a lottery and his name came up?  Must have been an interesting meeting.

• Annnnnnnnd this is what I get for tradewaiting.  Any chance people could refrain from revealing a major spoiler like this in a thread with - at best - a minor connection to the topic being discussed?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I think that this Alan is the new Alan from the new Earth 2, the Earth 2 that lost Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Super Girl and Robin and is now just starting to get heroes again.  I don't think that the 'real world' press will pay much attention to this.  I'm not sure that it is that big a deal anyway.  I can't remember, but was there much of a halloballoo when Truedue made the character of Megaphone Mark Slackmyere gay?  

• I'm afraid that I'm not traumatized by this at all! This is Alan Scott of the DCuU Earth-Two, completely seperate from the Alan Scott I grew up with. Of course, that Alan was a bachelor until 1985 so....

• Meh.

I think it's hilarious that a story like this is even making headlines anymore. Especially in the comic book world.

• Yawn.

Another reason to ignore this reboot.

This reply was deleted.