I just picked up Archie #1, from Mark Waid and Fiona Staples... and it was pretty terrific, I thought. I don't want to spoil it now, but most of what we recognize as Archie (storywise, not stylewise) is there, or right around the corner. Archie & Betty are a long-time couple suddenly on the outs, Jughead's his best friend, Reggie is a jerk, etc. There's a more diverse cast here at the ground floor than previously, which is a good thing. I'll be very happy to read more of this... it's a lot of fun. 

Anyone else pick it up?

Views: 522

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nothing new under the sun, is there?

And I got a little Ferris Buelher from it. (But mostly, it made me think that Archie has his own YouTube channel, where he vlogs. Addressing the audience is actually a think a lot of people do for real these days!

...Okay , I was not wild about one point ~ Why does Spoilers ! - Jughead act like a jerk towards one character who hasn't been really ESTABLISHED as a badguy yet , (tho I'm sure he will be) , IIRC , just to allow Archie to play guitar on The Big Night ?

The pranking to get Archie and Betty together again , but , again , the person that Juggie sticks to his car dashboard (Note: After I bought my vopy in Santa Cruz before heading to San Francisco , taking those SC-purchased comics with me - They got stolen along with many other things when I had my back turned , in SF . Siiigh . San Francisco , open your golden gate . So , it's from memory here .) hadn't , really been shown to be bad ~

Oh , and another thing , as far as Jughead's acceptable Tammany Hall/Boss Daley-ing of the " Prom King/Queen " votes to get Archie and Betty back together again ~ Huh , a modern-day upper-middle class economic level (At the very least .) school has their students voting on physical pieces of paper ? Wouldn't they have them cyber-vote somehow ?

This is especially true considering (what is an eternal irritant of mine concerning modern-day kid-oriented entertainment in general's tendency to over-emphasize modern-day tech/seemingly try to compliment the target market as to how kewl they are , because they have modern-day technology) how modern-day kid/teenage-oriented stuff , as I said above , tends to heavily play up modern-day tech in general...

The school might not allow non-academic use of their wi-fi. It's not a deal-breaker for me.

Dunno about the guy who got super-glued. Since most of the guys in my high school were jerks, it didn't concern me while I was reading. Now I'll be watching to see who this guy is, and if he deserved the power of Juggie unleashed!

All I could think as I read through Archie #2 last night was how smoothly and beautifully this series is reading. It is completely effortless to read, both story-wise as well as visually. I just thought, "Wow, this is so darn good. It was like I was predicting what would happen mixed with finding out what would happen, and thinking all the while, "That makes so much sense...no, wait--THAT makes so much sense..."

I almost hate to admit this, but I am loving this book so much more than I even thought I would.

...Do they follow last ish's reprint of the first Archie story with , in this second , a reprint of the second from PEP #23 ?

The Dark Circle SABRINA series started out with a reprint of the first ARCHIE'S MADHOUS Sabrina storyin back and said they'd continue them issue by issue but (The ridiculous delay between #1 and #2 perhaps contributing , not an angle with New Archie's #2) dropped that in #2 .

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

All I could think as I read through Archie #2 last night was how smoothly and beautifully this series is reading. It is completely effortless to read, both story-wise as well as visually. I just thought, "Wow, this is so darn good. It was like I was predicting what would happen mixed with finding out what would happen, and thinking all the while, "That makes so much sense...no, wait--THAT makes so much sense..."

I almost hate to admit this, but I am loving this book so much more than I even thought I would.

What he said! (I mean, exactly what he said.)

There is a reprint, but it's not Archie's second appearance. Instead, it's one that mirrors some of the themes of the main story.

And yes, Sensei and Jeff, I am in your club. This is so well done, it's like a clinic. I just ride along joyfully, and am only disappointed when it ends

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Do they follow last ish's reprint of the first Archie story with , in this second , a reprint of the second from PEP #23 ?

The Dark Circle SABRINA series started out with a reprint of the first ARCHIE'S MADHOUS Sabrina storyin back and said they'd continue them issue by issue but (The ridiculous delay between #1 and #2 perhaps contributing , not an angle with New Archie's #2) dropped that in #2 .

...Thank you .

While reading through issues 5 and 6, I realized I had forgotten how good this book is. Waid has made Reggie (who I never really see as a full-on villain in the first place) into a bit more of a sympathetic character--he's just looking for a father figure. Plus, even though we only got Fiona Staples for three issues, I would argue that we got the better end of that deal with Veronica Fish. What a talent!

While I do see Reggie as a bit more well-rounded, I still have to admit that I do not like Veronica. I am still what I have been my whole life: Pro-Betty and Anti-Veronica.

For some reason, I am started to get annoyed with the character (not the writers) that Archie is really becoming. It's the same thing that started to irritate me with both Scott Pilgrim and the latest iteration of Hawkeye. I just don't get the whole "helpless idiot" as the hero trope, I guess. It must be really the other characters that I'm enjoying so much, because this is a very enjoyable book.

For some reason, I'm seeing Reggie as more of a villain here than in the past. YMMV, I guess.

I don't have the same issues you do with Archie's character. I see him as more of a protagonist than a hero (same for Scott Pilgrim) and so his bumbling just makes him more human to me. He's essentially a good egg, so you can understand why people like him. I have to agree with you about Hawkeye and Scott however; with Hawkeye, it worked because Fraction's writing made it work, but I dropped the title when Lemire took over.  With Scott Pilgrim, I never got the "good egg" feeling and I always wondered just what the heck Ramona or all the other girls saw in him.

While I do see Reggie as a bit more well-rounded, I still have to admit that I do not like Veronica. I am still what I have been my whole life: Pro-Betty and Anti-Veronica.

For some reason, I am started to get annoyed with the character (not the writers) that Archie is really becoming. It's the same thing that started to irritate me with both Scott Pilgrim and the latest iteration of Hawkeye. I just don't get the whole "helpless idiot" as the hero trope, I guess. It must be really the other characters that I'm enjoying so much, because this is a very enjoyable book.

I think I'm just tired of seeing this type of character always coming out on top. I would love to see a Jughead come along and comfort Betty while she's hurt over Archie and see her start to like him. And then watch Archie realize what a jerk he'd been and become jealous of the relationship.

Randy Jackson said:

I don't have the same issues you do with Archie's character.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service