I just picked up Archie #1, from Mark Waid and Fiona Staples... and it was pretty terrific, I thought. I don't want to spoil it now, but most of what we recognize as Archie (storywise, not stylewise) is there, or right around the corner. Archie & Betty are a long-time couple suddenly on the outs, Jughead's his best friend, Reggie is a jerk, etc. There's a more diverse cast here at the ground floor than previously, which is a good thing. I'll be very happy to read more of this... it's a lot of fun. 

Anyone else pick it up?

Views: 506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I think I'm just tired of seeing this type of character always coming out on top. I would love to see a Jughead come along and comfort Betty while she's hurt over Archie and see her start to like him. And then watch Archie realize what a jerk he'd been and become jealous of the relationship.

I think that's part of why Mark Waid dropped the Archie-Betty-Veronica triangle; he couldn't justify a guy stringing along two women, nor either of them putting up with it.

Sabrina did that in her Filmation animated series. Twice in each episode, since they all consisted of two short stories. In at least one episode she froze the Archie gang so they wouldn't hear her talking to us.

Captain Comics said:

It probably does help if you have some pre-existing affection for the characters, Trav. I read Archies in middle school, with Jughead the last one I dropped.

One thing I forgot to mention in my review was Archie addressing the audience at beginning and end. That harkens back to at least The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, so it's a convention I have pre-existing affection for as well.

In many of the old stories it looked like they were fighting over him more to outdo each other than because they actually wanted him.

I think a lot of people would like to see Jug with Betty.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I think I'm just tired of seeing this type of character always coming out on top. I would love to see a Jughead come along and comfort Betty while she's hurt over Archie and see her start to like him. And then watch Archie realize what a jerk he'd been and become jealous of the relationship.

I think that's part of why Mark Waid dropped the Archie-Betty-Veronica triangle; he couldn't justify a guy stringing along two women, nor either of them putting up with it.

I read Betty & Veronica #1 today. It was definitely a wordy comic, but I didn't mind it. I bought this especially for Adam Hughes's artwork (beautiful), but found myself reading it far longer than I expected. As I said, though, I didn't mind because, when I enjoy the words I'm reading, it doesn't feel like a chore.

I will definitely be back next issue.

Archie #21: This book is definitely taking a turn for the darker, almost certainly in response to the TV show. It's not a bad thing, but just an observation. I love the art by Pete Woods. Of course, Mark Waid's writing is sharp as usual.

By the way, I really loved Riverdale. I just started watching it a couple weeks back and binged the whole thing in a few days.

Jughead: The Hunger #2: I really liked this one. Written by Frank Tieri, it features Reggie the Werewolf hunting down some old "friends", Archie practicing his fighting skills with Betty's junkyard family, and Jughead on the run. I liked the art in the first half (by Pat and Tim Kennedy) much more than the second half by Joe Eisma, but both were suited to the job.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service