I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 4535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Dragon Lady still smokes, but not everyone likes it.  The Dick Tracy Comic strip has a great job here.

http://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/

Dick Tracy is currently having a lot of fun at a cosplay convention.  

His granddaughter asked him if he knows what a crossover is.

He could have replied, "Have you read my strip lately?"

The Spider-Man strip currently has a story involving the Mole Man, Tyrannus (from Hulk #5 (JAN63) and Kala (From the Iron Man story in Tales of Suspense #43 (JUL63).

...Yes, and it involves a (the last I looked) reformed Mole Man ~ who is given a name, " Melvin ":- ! - marrying/attempting to marry Aunt May ~ for the second time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The cleric at the wedding is in a Roman collar outfit ~ Is he meant to be Catholic? Episcopal? Lutheran? Other?

I guess they had established the Mole Man as Melvin and an earlier marriage proposal in an earlier year of this strip. I haven't been following it that long. I know I was reading it when Mephisto did his thing in the comic book. The strip actually tried to follow suit for a week, IIRC, and then wisely dumped the concept and continued telling stories having Peter married to MJ.

If that is meant to be a priestly collar it could be many options. I believe that a Catholic priest is only allowed to perform marriages in church-owned facilities, so Griffith Park (city-owned) wouldn't qualify.  

...Have Tyrannus and Kala been showed as married before?

Sounds like they're copying the first Roy Thomas FF storyline.

Stan Lee has used ghost co-writers and Thomas has been one of them. I don't know if he's currently working on the strip - he was a couple of years ago - but it could be him plotting.

...The Sunday to-day of ASM is switching gears to start a new story , with MJ and JJJ, set in Miami.
Someone else speculated " a Lizard story "? Or, Thor, with the new movie? Galactus? Robbie is still a major character in the strip. The Sunday STILL dedicates its top 1/3 to endlessly recycling the 6?? Romita tops endlessly explaining the origin, etc. Do any newspapers run it that way? Mole Man's full name was given...as Melvin Kurtzman! Hey Look!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...The Sunday to-day of ASM is switching gears to start a new story , with MJ and JJJ, set in Miami.
Someone else speculated " a Lizard story "? Or, Thor, with the new movie? Galactus? Robbie is still a major character in the strip. The Sunday STILL dedicates its top 1/3 to endlessly recycling the 6?? Romita tops endlessly explaining the origin, etc. Do any newspapers run it that way? Mole Man's full name was given...as Melvin Kurtzman! Hey Look!
The real "fun" in today's strip is in that last panel. Ha-ha, Pete's probably got a broken nose and lost a few teeth! Yuk-yuk-yuk!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service