I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 6298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

“Why is more impossible for a suicide to fall on a spent casing than a murder victim?”

From one of the (many) online treatments of Reeves’ death: “Since a 9mm Luger generally ejects its shells to the right, it's hard to conceive what position the actor must have been in when he fired for it to have ended up underneath him. Other evidence that casts doubt on this scenario is the lack of burn marks on Reeves’ back. If he had really fallen backwards onto a freshly ejected shell case it should have been hot enough to have burnt his skin, yet no such marks were evident at the autopsy.”

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Why is more impossible for a suicide to fall on a spent casing than a murder victim?”

From one of the (many) online treatments of Reeves’ death: “Since a 9mm Luger generally ejects its shells to the right, it's hard to conceive what position the actor must have been in when he fired for it to have ended up underneath him. Other evidence that casts doubt on this scenario is the lack of burn marks on Reeves’ back. If he had really fallen backwards onto a freshly ejected shell case it should have been hot enough to have burnt his skin, yet no such marks were evident at the autopsy.”

I'm not a forensic scientist, and I haven't even watched CSI all that much, and I can conceive of how a shell casing could have landed under a falling body, especially if it bounced off anything before the body landed on it.

Likewise, I'm not convinced a freshly ejected shell case would leave a burn, unless it touched bare skin.

Not overwhelmed by the look.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The new artist for Nancy began yesterday.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The new artist for Nancy began yesterday.

The Baron said:

Not overwhelmed by the look.

I grew up reading Nancy in my hometown newspaper, but the hometown and the newspaper both changed over the years, so I haven't seen much of it the past decade or two. The last time I saw it daily, Jerry Scott was the artist.

Frankly, I thought none of the artists who followed Ernie Bushmiller on the strip draw as well as he did. Including this new one.

"I'm not convinced a freshly ejected shell case would leave a burn, unless it touched bare skin."

George Reeves was naked when his body was discovered, but honestly, there is so much that is hokey about that case and investigation that the position of the shell casing is the least of it.

In the Tracy story, Lovecraft says they heard a single shot after she left Reeds.

If the shot was fired from close up, I don't see why Reeds can't have fired the gun. Let's suppose he was shot in the temple. (The story doesn't say.) Either he shot himself in the temple, or his murderer shot him in the temple. Both theories put the gun in the same place.

He might have held the gun with the handle towards the wall when firing. In that case the casing would have been ejected up, and could have fallen near his body.

The Candidates do not contradict Lovecraft when she says there was only one shot, and Tracy does not accuse them of colluding with her.

If the Candidates were colluding with Lovecraft to cover up what happened, we do not know Lovecraft was the last person to see Reeds alive or that there was no-one else in the house.

I read Spider-Man (a couple of weeks behind) in Comic Shop News. Somehow, between #1607 and #1608, a week's storyline was lost. Maybe they'll run it out of order next week. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to look online.

...The NANCY strip has now replaced Guy Gilchrist with one Olivia Jaime's -as yet,  dailies-only, with Gilchrist reprints on Sunday,  but I suppose that may be a scheduling hiccup.  Jaime's is described as pseudonymous in what I've read about the new version of the strip,  with both Heidi MacDonald and A. V.  Club doing pieces on the new version,  and the comments section at GoComics filled with attackers and proponents of the strip.  Jaime's has taken a very different  approach from Gilchrist's retro-Bushmiller approach,  large cast of characters,  and numerous Boomer pop-culture references. 

Jaime's draws a very flat,  " Nineties-indie " style... and though Fritz has been referred to,  she's not been shown. There are a whole lot of the-characters-know-they're-in-a-comic-strip jokes,  and jokes regarding modern technology,  which last fact got AV Club rather hosanna-ing and salaa

ming in the strip's direction - Didn't Gilchrist do some tech jokes at times? IfJaimes is psednoymous,  how do we know she's a cisgender female and not a male or trans woman?

...The New York Times has deemed to write about Jaime's' version of the strip as well,  complete with a as -yet-unpublished Sunday strip. The Grey Lady's view of it seems to continue  with the Pooh-ing and ah-ing of praise S of Jaime's,  simply because she put some references to tech in - In my observation,  a lit oder strips run technology jokes!

The Washington Post's Comic Riffs blog weighs in today. It notes that Nancy is in about 75 newspapers today, way down from 900 at its peak. 

"How the New ‘Nancy’ Creator Is Handling Divided Fans and Sudden Fame"

From here.

I don't know why, but the huge Last Supper in the background of a humor comic seems weird to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service