I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 5355

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I saw something today saying that Larry Leiber has retired from the SPIDER-MAN daily strip, with Alex Saviuk taking that on as well.

(1) - It"s the end of an era! Larry must be the artist who's drawn more Spider-Man that anyone else, don't you think?

(2) - Perhaps now with the same artist all days, they can get past their tendency to have characters' 

appearances differ on the daily and Sunday!!!!! In the present storyline, Iron Fist's beard has switched back and forth from blond to red...:-@

The coloring on the Sunday Spider-Man strips tends to be accurate. Whoever does the coloring on the daily strips, which are supposed to be printed in B&W, often takes me out of the (slow-moving) story. In a 2014 story the early Iron Man armor was colored all-yellow in the Sunday strips. In the daily strips they tried to color it mostly red. A similar thing happened in a Sub-Mariner story when the Sunday strips had an Atlantean child's skin correctly colored blue. In the daily strips he looked like a regular New Yorker. I'm pretty sure that Iron Fist's blond beard in the Sunday strips is correct.

Possibly the penciller and inker have control of the colors on the Sunday strip. I think King Features just assigns someone to color the daily strips for the outlets that produce color daily strips. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. 

I have recently been following the Terry Beatty-drawn REX MORGAN, M.D.

I've been enjoying it for years. It's a good strip.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

I have recently been following the Terry Beatty-drawn REX MORGAN, M.D.

...Comic Book Resources ran an article bout the Olivia Jaimes NANCY ~ Including an attempt to meke  a " Generation Rumble "/kewell Gen-Zers Vs. boring BOF boomers thing about reactions to Jaimes.

I am a little sick of the endless " Oooh, it's so KEWELL/modern!!!!!!!!!!! " hyping of Jaimes...Perhaps I am being " reverse-trendy "! Jaimes can be very funny...her art is  rather repititious and her grim-faced Nancy makes me remember my mother in the 70s complaining " I hate Nancy. Sh'e always scowling! "!!!!!!!

https://www.cbr.com/nancy-sluggo-is-lit-olivia-jaimes/2/

Are they giving the Nancy strip to newspapers for free? I have never thought it was worth my time and can't believe it has survived all these years. 

Nancy is wonderfully bland. That's part of its charm. I remember several MAD magazine spoofs of it that center on that very point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service