I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 5927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...NON SEQUITUR's little bit of naughtiness seems to have had major ~  financial ~ consequences for Wiley Miller. Beside the already-noted Portland cancellation of the strip and a PA one I saw while looking this up - the (San Jose) MERCURY NEWS has dropped it, daily and Sunday, in favor of  WALLACE THE BRAVE, by Will Henry ~ a very CALVIN AND HOBBES-influenced strip (Specifically, the sequences where Calvin fantasizes.). I'm sure that this means that the (Oakland) EAST BAY TIMES has done likewise, as they are really slightly different editions ,of the same newspaper that maintain the pretense that they're separate newspapers ~ and as the SANTA CRUZ SENTINEL, which I left behind, in Surf City, runs the exact same Sunday comics section, that would be their Sabbath funnies too. An outfit that might be called either Digitalfirst or Bay Area News Group own them all - and I think considerably more newspapers in NorCal, possibly every coastal Norcal paper that is not in San Francisco proper from Monterey to Mendicino ~ so if so, and if  it was dropped from ALL of them ~ and we're in a " blue " area, not the Bible Belt!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't find anky articles about the Merc's doing this, however _ I found an apparent San Francisco Chronicle/SF Gate one, but I could not reach it.

Another crossover with Little Orphan Annie started this week in Dick Tracy. Daddy Warbucks has been married twice before. His first wife is the one who adopted Annie as a kind of fad. He married again so that Annie would have a mother, but Trixie was selfish and self-centered. They set off on a cruise to repair their damaged marriage, but Trixie never returned. It was never revealed exactly what happened to her, but the clear implication was that foul play might have been involved.

Now Dick Tracy is investigating.

Mutts last week:

It is in the news that Viacom ~ parent company of Nickelodeon ~ has acquired GARFIELD apparently 100%, seemingly, if I read it correctly, acquiring all previous episodes of the cartoon and the rights to new 'toons ~ and also acquiring Paws Inc., the producer of the strip, outright - with Jim Davis apparently letting himself be bought out, though continuing to work on the strip.

Scott Adams of DILBERT has experienced a backlash after, in the wake of the recent Gilroy Garlic Festival mass shooting, he made an attempt to promote a news-gathhering app he is connected with in conjunction with it.

I am posting to an English tabloid's version of the story ~ The Daily Mail, if it didn't go up ~ maybe they're a little shoddy and I haven't read their version yet, but it's what I could find right now, and they do run long stories so it might go into some detail.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7301127Dilbert-creator-fac...

How I came to appreciate NANCY by Olivia Jaimes:

1) First, I read all the posts and linked articles on pages 30-33 and 35 of this discussion.

2) Then I pre-ordered the first collection when I saw it solicited.

3) Then I read it.

This (9/3/18) is her most (in)famous strip.

This (8/19/18) is probably her most autobiographical.

But before I read either of those, however, this one (5/27/18) had already won me over.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

How I came to appreciate NANCY by Olivia Jaimes:

1) First, I read all the posts and linked articles on pages 30-33 and 35 of this discussion.

2) Then I pre-ordered the first collection when I saw it solicited.

3) Then I read it.

This (9/3/18) is her most (in)famous strip.

This (8/19/18) is probably her most autobiographical.

But before I read either of those, however, this one (5/27/18) had already won me over.

...Slate had yet another article about the strip to-day, obviously in keeping with the book's release. They suggested that the book really shouldn't come out on paper. They're SO modern over at Slate!

...Did she ever follow through and do strips using those four " advance " panels?

No, it was just a gag designed to aggravate her most vocal critics.

Apparantly, the "Sluggo is lit" meme has appeared on t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc. since.

...Awwwww.:-( Thank you.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service