I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 6412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It bothered me enough that there wasn't a place to see all of these special strips -- and since I'd flagged about a third of them -- I went ahead and linked to all of them, below.

Aw,man, that is NOT  Alley Oop.

That's what came up. I don't get it, either, but then, Alley Oop has never been in the lineup in the newspaper anywhere I've lived.

It looks like the Sunday Alley Oop strips are in a different continuity than the dailies. Like how the old Buz Sawyer strip on Sundays featured "his pal, Rosco Sweeney."

An interesting article on comics strip writers choosing, or not, to incorporate the COVID-19 sheltering-in-place efforts into their storylines: "Should the Funny Pages Look Like the News?"

Ah, I get it now.

ClarkKent_DC said:

It looks like the Sunday Alley Oop strips are in a different continuity than the dailies. Like how the old Buz Sawyer strip on Sundays featured "his pal, Rosco Sweeney."

...Alley Pop was carried in both the Santa Cruz County papers as a daily when I lived there. (One, a weekly, would carry all six.) It had recently changed artists and the new artist had a different style. What's the daily&Sunday split in it these days?

"It bothered me enough that there wasn't a place to see all of these special strips -- and since I'd flagged about a third of them -- I went ahead and linked to all of them..."

That is service above and beyond the call. Bravo!

In answer to the question "Should the Funny Pages Look Like the News?" I think comic strips should always reflect the times. I will read the article later, but I hope it's more than another chorus of "The Funnies Aren't Funny Anymore!"

"I will read the article later..."

Good article.

Reading it reminds me of when cartoonists of the 40s had to make a conscious decision whether or not to send their characters to war. Snuffy Smith enlisted, so did Skeezix Wallet. One noteable exception was Li'l Abner, which Al Capp addressed in a particular daily. He said, basically, that he wanted to use his strip to remind of of the life soldiers were fighting to return to.

I swear I've seen a Li'l Abner strip with him in uniform, explaining the etiquette of saluting, but it may have been one of those public service things that cartoonists did during the war.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I will read the article later..."

Good article.

Reading it reminds me of when cartoonists of the 40s had to make a conscious decision whether or not to send their characters to war. Snuffy Smith enlisted, so did Skeezix Wallet. One noteable exception was Li'l Abner, which Al Capp addressed in a particular daily. He said, basically, that he wanted to use his strip to remind of of the life soldiers were fighting to return to.

"I swear I've seen a Li'l Abner strip with him in uniform, explaining the etiquette of saluting, but it may have been one of those public service things that cartoonists did during the war."

Yes, you have. I know the strip you're talking about. It was one of those "public service things" as you suggest.

It was in my collection of Male Call.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I swear I've seen a Li'l Abner strip with him in uniform, explaining the etiquette of saluting, but it may have been one of those public service things that cartoonists did during the war."

Yes, you have. I know the strip you're talking about. It was one of those "public service things" as you suggest.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service