I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 7438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Play that one on your piccolo!" and "There's a kiss for yuh, monkey-face!" have long since become catchphrases around our house. For our sixth wedding anniversary (iron) I got Tracy a horseshoe tied to a bit of twine. So far, I have not given her cause to use it (fingers crossed).

You're a great team!

Funky Winkerbean has characters, including professional comics artists, attending a live, in person San Diego Comic-Con this month, even though it's still virtual. Dream sequence? We'll see. The July 15 strip shows what can only be Mark Evanier.

Prince Valiant started a new continuity, oh... about a month ago now, I guess. I always get so exited when val embarks on a new adventure, but my excitement soon fades as the story goes nowhere. Prince Valiant must be the most meandering strip of what few story strips are left... except for maybe Judge Parker

Here's a question I mean to ask almost every week but never get around to it. In Sally Forth, Hillary's friend is now living with the Forths. Can anyone tell me why? 

Really? Which one - Faye or Nona?

Jeff of Earth- J said:

Here's a question I mean to ask almost every week but never get around to it. In Sally Forth, Hillary's friend is now living with the Forths. Can anyone tell me why? 

Faye. She's been living with the Forths for at least six months now (I read only the  Sundays and hadn't realized it right away). Lately they've been talking about her going away soon to live with her mother. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Because, y'know, COVID.

Really? But where had she been living prior to that, and why didn't she stay there? 

Oh, you wanted an in-story explanation ... ?

Faye's mother lost her job and couldn't afford her house, so she moved in with her mother and found a new job in another town. This fell during the school year (and COVID), so to avoid disrupting Faye's life by taking her away from her friends and school, Faye's mother and the Forths worked it out so Faye could stay with them at least through the end of school year ... and, it seems, into the summer.

After that, who knows?

Thanks!

SALLY FORTH: JULY 25: Today's instalment, featuring two characters I have never seen before ("Grandma' and "Bettina") was truly creepy. I had to go online to find out what it was about. Hilary and Faye are lost in the woods (actually a follow-up from last Sunday if I would have remembered), but try reading today's strip out of context. The moral is: never leave small children in the care of "Grandma."

JUDGE PARKER: JULY 25: Also features two characters I have never seen (or, at least, don't remember). I have been reading this strip for 20 years (Sundays only) and I still have no idea who "Judge Parker" is, or who any of the regular characters are. I enjoy reading it, though, for reasons of my own.

If I recall correctly, "Grandma" is Sally's mom, and Bettina is Sally's sister's kid, and I wouldn't have left a child in Grandma's care if I had anything to say about it.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

SALLY FORTH: JULY 25: Today's instalment, featuring two characters I have never seen before ("Grandma' and "Bettina") was truly creepy. I had to go online to find out what it was about. Hilary and Faye are lost in the woods (actually a follow-up from last Sunday if I would have remembered), but try reading today's strip out of context. The moral is: never leave small children in the care of "Grandma."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service