I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 7438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this Baldo sequence has run before, but if so, I don't mind seeing it again.* I think more long-running strips ought to do this kind of thing, remind the readers of how the status quo got established. There was a college-oriented strip called Watch Your Head that would spend a week introducing the characters to the readers at least once a year.

* A trip to Wikipedia tells me this sequence first ran in 2007. The attractive man is Carmen's late husband, Gregorio.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Oh, thank you. I only see the strip occasionally (It's carried in the Santa Cruz) paper but I don't see it regular). You have reminded me of something I have wondered about BALDO. The characters, of course, are Hispanic Americans. They seem, economically, pretty middle-class - own suburban home, Baldo has a car. Thete's been jokes showing/reflecting nervousness about immigration policies. Are any characters supposed to be undocumented? Any of their friends if not any of the Baldo clan?

Baldo's buddy Cruz is a Dreamer -- an immigrant who came to the United States in his childhood.

...That of course is true about the harassment that even native-born Hispanics have received from Immigration agents, I believe. I just didn't detail it. I guess Dreamers are by definition undocumented, as far as their legal status goes, Clark, thank you.

Tom Toles, editorial cartoonist for The Washington Post, retires after a 50-year career, 18 with the Post.

"Tom Toles’s Final Cartoon"

The Rex Morgan M.D. strip has been doing a nice job of telling the effect on its several characters, not all of whom are medical.
Ships this week:

"effect of COVID-19"

Richard Willis said:

The Rex Morgan M.D. strip has been doing a nice job of telling the effect on its several characters, not all of whom are medical.

Today's Baldo pays tribute to Hank Ketcham's 101st birthday by recycling (and updating) three of his Dennis the Menace gags.

Many times it's seemed like the Royal Flush Gang was everywhere. Now they're on Dick Tracy!

The 52 Gang.

Here are two of my favorite, funniest Annie panels.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service