So earlier this afternoon, I did finally come across my collection of Amalgam Comics, the Marvel/DC crossover where they literally combined the universes and characters into one world. It was from the late 90's, and it was a really awesome experience. The best writers and artists from both companies pitched in and delivered some truly special books.

So my question is this: How much interest is there on this board in doing a reading project through these books? I'd love to get one going if anybody else is game, and I'm pretty sure Jeff of Earth J would love to join in as well, although I can speak only for myself.

I know I will get much more out of a current reading, because my only Marvel reading at the time barely scraped the surface of the company. The majority of my Marvel reading experience was within about the last ten or fifteen years. I know I will pick up many more references this time.

Let me know who else would be interested in one of the most grin-inducing events of the 90's.

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much, Dave! That's what I love about this board--somebody always knows the multitude of information that goes right over my head!

Dave Elyea said:

Let's see--Marvel's Kyle was most likely Kyle Richmond aka Nighthawk, who at least started out as a Batman analog, so merging with Lucius Fox makes some sense.

I think there used to be an obnoxious reporter named Lance at the Daily Bugle, but at the moment, I'm blanking on his last name.

Debbie was most likely the lead character from one of DC's teen humor titles, Date with Debbie.  I have no idea what that character's last name was either.  Again, she made sense merging with Patsy Walker.

In the interest of completeness, I did some digging, and the Daily Bugle's Lance Bannon was a photographer, and the Debbie who Dated was named Anderson, and like Patsy Walker, was a spunky redhead.  I'm sure in some universe, Debbie Anderson joined the JLA as the costumed Purr-dition.  Or not.

Date with Debbi featured Debbi Anderson

Interestingly (or not), the Buddy on that cover was named "Buddy Baxter", while Patsy Walker's beau (until he grew up to be an abusive jerk, low-rent super-villain) was "Buzz Baxter"...

Thanks for the information, Daves! :) This is why I love this board so much--a wealth of knowledge. Some would call it "useless knowledge", but not me!

Amazon #1

Written and drawn by John Byrne

This was a really good issue which doesn't feature Princess Diana. Instead, it is about Ororo of Themyscira. She is the adoptive sister to Diana, and adoptive daughter of Hippolyta. This seemed like a chance for John Byrne to write both his former Storm but also his then-current Wonder Woman.

He didn't really mix much of the universes through this issue other than the title character/s, but still, it's a good look at the Amazons and how they adapted to having their goddess ward as a part of their world.

It's interesting, because in my memory, the Amalgam Comics experiment seemed like a fusion of the characters. But now, re-reading it, I realize it's mostly tossing the characters into the same world and stirring them up together. I know this isn't always the case, but here we have Diana as a part of the Bullets and Bracelets comic, and Storm steps into her place on Paradise Island. I think I like this approach better than what I thought it was at the time.

I still have a lot of books to talk about, so my mind could be changed again!

I read Lobo the Duck over the weekend... or at least I tried to. I got only half-way through before i gave it up. I hadn't read any Lobo when Amalgam first came out, and very little Howard the Duck. I've read Howard through twice since then, but very little Lobo.

Back in 1990 i was working the "twilight" shift (6P-2A) in the reservations department at TWA. Sometime after midnight Central Time, a call came in from a woman flying NYC to LAX. I booked her itinerary and, when I added her frequent flyer number, discovered it was Jeanette Kahn! We talked about DC comics for a bit, and the one title she recommended to me was... Lobo?!?!

Haha! Well, come to think of it, this is about when Keith Giffen was doing the first issues of Lobo proper, as in the couple of miniseries that came out. That is some...well, let's just say that it was much closer to what would have come out from 2000AD in the late 70's and early 80's, which I like, but I can see that not everyone would.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Back in 1990 i was working the "twilight" shift (6P-2A) in the reservations department at TWA. Sometime after midnight Central Time, a call came in from a woman flying NYC to LAX. I booked her itinerary and, when I added her frequent flyer number, discovered it was Jeanette Kahn! We talked about DC comics for a bit, and the one title she recommended to me was... Lobo?!?!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service