Have you seen it? Are you planning on seeing it?

here is the first half of my review: 

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/07/wrapped-up-like-movie-review-amazi...

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which is exactly why my heart jumped!

Rich Lane said:

The only mistake in using Gwen instead of MaryJane is that comics fans kind of have a feeling predestined doom to the whole romance (until and unless Marvel brings her back prior to the point where her death would feel inevitable in the movie franchise).

Speaking of Spider-Tech.  We have mechanical webshooters again, but did I miss something?

Yes, Peter creates the shooters himself, but it appears he's buying the web cartridges from Oscorp.  Now how cheap is this webbing that he can use it up as quickly as he does?  If you can order it over the internet, why aren't cops and crooks already using it? How easy would it be to figure out who Spider-Man is by simply tracking the webbing being ordered in bulk?

If they indicated that Peter back engineered how to create the webbing at home, I missed it.

I went and saw this last Thursday with a group of friends, and I liked it. I just really didn't need his origin again, and I thought the first half of the movie was pretty boring. If they felt they needed to tell the origin again, they could have knocked it out in the opening credits, and lets get on with it. Garfield was a marginally better Spider-man than Maguire.

I did like the chemistry between Gwen and Peter better than MJ and Peter in the previous series.

All I know is that Oscorp has the worst security in the know and probably unknown universe. A local restaurant uses biometrics for its cash register, but just knowing some silly little code gets you into a highly secure area. Also, apparently, a high school intern has access to everything.

There was quite a bit of melodrama, and hokieness to it, but I actually like it here. I expect it in a super-hero movie.

I just saw it last night ... a day after I saw The Dark Knight Rises. Fortunately, The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't suffer too much in comparison, mostly because I went into it with far lower expectations ... as evidenced by the fact that I'm just getting around to seeing it.

As noted elsewhere, I haven't read the rest of this thread -- yet. Impressions follow:

• I wasn't that excited about seeing the origin story yet again, but I appreciated that they didn't just rehash it; they updated it for the 21st century, and I was pleased with just about all of the changes.

• Going in, I wasn't sold on Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, because he doesn't look like the guy; too tall and gangly. But he did well convey the kind of nervousness and restlessness of a teen, and especially a teen who doesn't quite fit in, and who harbors a longing for his real parents.

• Which is one thing I liked: They actually addressed the unanswered question that's always been a given in Spider-Man -- Why is Peter Parker living with his aunt and uncle, and not his parents? Where are they? 

• Nice having Martin Sheen and Sally Field -- an Emmy winner and an Oscar winner -- as Uncle Ben and Aunt May.

• I liked that when Peter discovered his abilities, he went somewhere to practice, and got more and more daring as he saw, bit by bit, that he could do more than before. It's far more sensible than immediately jumping off a tall building. And glad that they remembered Spider-Man wisecracks his way through battles.

• Emma Stone was cute, like a John Romita drawing come to life.

• Garfield really sold the roiling mass of emotions that came with these newfound abilities; suddenly being selfish and rude leads to an argument with Uncle Ben and Aunt May and him storming out, which leads to Uncle Ben looking for him, which leads to his being in the wrong place when the convenience store thief shoots him. It's simpler than the whole thing about Spider-Man appearing on The Ed Sullivan Show (hey, it was the '60s) and not stopping the thief in the TV studio, only to have said thief travel all the way from Manhattan to Queens to break into the Parker home. I never thought about that when I was a kid -- after all, Spider-Man comics aren't exactly atlases of New York City geography -- but, yeah, why would a thief who already made one score for the night go all that way just to break into a house? 

• I also didn't mind losing the bit where Peter goes to the wresting match to make money, although I appreciated the nod to it in this new movie, as well as they way Peter was inspired to create his mask.

• And I didn't even mind that all there was of the Daily Bugle was one shot of a bundle of newspapers. The older I get, the more I grew to dislike J. Jonah Jameson and all that comes with the Daily Bugle, and I really think the whole business of Peter selling pictures of Spider-Man to make money, only to have Jameson and the Bugle use them to trash his reputation, wouldn't fly today. Glad the movie people saw it that way, too.

• Peter goes around looking for the killer? Well, if you had superpowers and somebody killed your father, wouldn't you? Yeah, that works for me.

• Wait a minute -- Peter told Gwen his secret? 

• Actually, that worked for me; how could a teenager NOT tell somebody? Somebody he really liked. Somebody he was falling for. Somebody who might appreciate it -- or not -- but, with his growing confidence, he took that risk. Yeah, that works for me.

• Having The Lizard as the villain made this more like a monster movie than I was expecting.

• I've read and seen too many stories where the scientist experiments on himself; anybody smart enough to be a scientist ought to be smart enough to know it's a dumb idea. But this time, it was actually plausible; Curt Connors' bosses pulled the plug on has project, and he could not bear to lose the chance to regrow that arm. Yeah, that works for me.

• Denis Leary as Captain Stacy? Boy, talk about casting against type; he is NOT the guy you call when you want an avuncular father figure. But he wasn't playing an avuncular father figure ("Do I look like the mayor of Tokyo?"). Yeah, that works for me.

• Wait a minute -- The Lizard figured out who Spider-Man is? From the labels on his camera?

• Wait a minute -- Peter Parker is using a film camera? (I'll squint my eyes and tell myself he has sentimental attachment to it because it belonged to his father.)

• Stan Lee likes his cameos, doesn't he?

• Wait a minute -- Captain Stacy makes Peter unmask?

• Glad we see how brave and professional Captain Stacy can be. ("Peter -- I GOT this!") But why the heck did he show up by himself? There is no earthly reason why he shouldn't have had some backup.

• I knew Captain Stacy was fated to die, but having him and Uncle Ben die in the same movie was a bit too much.

• I suppose we'll get Norman Osborn and The Green Goblin in the next movie.

• Wait a minute -- Aunt May doesn't find out who Spider-Man is? Why not? Everybody else did!

• Oh ... and Peter never found the killer. Interesting ... almost like what happened to Bruce Wayne.

Rich Lane said:

Speaking of Spider-Tech.  We have mechanical webshooters again, but did I miss something?

Yes, Peter creates the shooters himself, but it appears he's buying the web cartridges from Oscorp.  Now how cheap is this webbing that he can use it up as quickly as he does?  If you can order it over the internet, why aren't cops and crooks already using it? How easy would it be to figure out who Spider-Man is by simply tracking the webbing being ordered in bulk?

If they indicated that Peter back engineered how to create the webbing at home, I missed it.

I don't know how Peter got the web cartridges, but it wasn't clear that he bought them. (I hate to say he "stole" them, however.) But -- in another positive update for the 21st century -- it makes better sense to say the webbing is a useful product that Peter applied in a different way than to stick with the notion that nobody saw any value in it.

I have  a bad feeling about this.  If Norman Osborne IS coming into the series next movie, and it's very likely that he'll be/become the Green Goblin... and Petey is dating Gwen Stacy...I'm very very worried for her....

...Okay , I saw it last night , flat , not 3-D , sort of wanting to see it before Dark Knight...I have no time to go into lengthy talk here , but at least I've revived this/" made my spot " , I'll discuss it...And , in contrast , the Raimi trilogy...later .

...BTW , speaking of old threads , I went searching for that thread about that New York Times story about the family dispute at Archie . I can't find it .

Could someone else with more time , please ????????? ( HINT: For the most substantial thing I have to say , maybe I shoulda put this in the Bill Finger thread . )

...I will say this , Rich , I was figuring that Peter used his conncections into Oscorp from Dr. Connors ( Even Gwen !!!!!!!!! ) and was able to get , cheap or even free , Oscorp stuff , perhaps not generally available/experimental??...
Rich Lane said:

...BTW , speaking of old threads , I went searching for that thread about that New York Times story about the family dispute at Archie . I can't find it .

Here ya go!

Assuming you are using something that works like an ordinary computer and not an internet-enabled potato, you can search Google for Captain Comics threads using a query such as the following:

"site:http://captaincomics.ning.com/ archie silberkeit"

Thus Google searches the whole Captain Comics site for mentions of those terms.

(I had to find the name "silberkeit" by googling "Archie legal dispute" before the above search.  I should know my comicbook litigants better...)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service