Anne McCaffrey has died

I've taught DragonSong for years to my ninth graders, and they've always enjoyed it. It's rare to find an acceptable book for that age that features a strong female lead, and it fit the bill wonderfully.

My condolences to her family.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/anne-mccaffrey-has-died_b42826

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The lady was a prolific writer with a number of different series. I for one will sorely miss her work.

• Sad news indeed.

The dragon universe will live forever, though.

• My sister corresponded with her back in the early 90's. She was so encouraging. Her Dragonriders series was some of the first fantasy/SF I ever read. Because of that it was quite a while before I realized it was supposed to be a boy's genre.
  • I'm really sorry to hear this.

• Actually, I always thought her books were written for young girls, as I picked up her books from my older sister. 

I really enjoyed her dragonrider stories - she definitiely will be missed.

Ana Canino-Fluit (Anacoqui- mod) said:

My sister corresponded with her back in the early 90's. She was so encouraging. Her Dragonriders series was some of the first fantasy/SF I ever read. Because of that it was quite a while before I realized it was supposed to be a boy's genre.
  • Yes, but fantasy and sf as a whole tended to be a boy's club. Writers were men writting for boys, the women have often been mearly set dressing or after thoughts ( the mother, the damsel, the wench). The women in Anne's books were protagonists with agency. Since I started with Anne, and then continued to read fantasy and SF classics, it was a bit of a shock of how much of the books centered around men.

Oric said:

Actually, I always thought her books were written for young girls, as I picked up her books from my older sister. 

My sister corresponded with her back in the early 90's. She was so encouraging. Her Dragonriders series was some of the first fantasy/SF I ever read. Because of that it was quite a while before I realized it was supposed to be a boy's genre.
  • Sorry I misread your first post - I thought you were saying that Anne McCaffrey's books were for boys when that wasn't my impression at all.  I do agree with you that SF/fantasy was/is a bit of a boy's club, just like comics.

Yes, but fantasy and sf as a whole tended to be a boy's club. Writers were men writting for boys, the women have often been mearly set dressing or after thoughts ( the mother, the damsel, the wench). The women in Anne's books were protagonists with agency. Since I started with Anne, and then continued to read fantasy and SF classics, it was a bit of a shock of how much of the books centered around men.

Oric said:

Actually, I always thought her books were written for young girls, as I picked up her books from my older sister. 

This reply was deleted.