I'm behind the curve on a lot of stuff lately, but I didn't know that there had been another movie made about Judge Dread. I was skimming through the channels and spotted the title, but I thought it was the Sylvester Stallone movie. This one was different and better in my opinion. I don't remember seeing it in the theatres though, was it direct to video?

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No. it was in theatres , but it was easy to miss - it was a bust at the box office.  Even adding in international sales, it didn't even make back its budget of $45 million, bringing in $41 million total..  Most movies that are considered box office disappointments usually miss making back their budget in North America but usually surpass it overseas.  Dredd did $13 million here, and $28 million internationally.

Which is a shame, because I share your opinion that it was actually fairly decent.  Karl Urban in the title role was the best part of it, which didn't surprise me; Urban is also far and away the best part of Almost Human, which would be close to unwatchable without him.

Maybe everyone made the same mistake I did and thought it was the Stalone movie. Urban was good in the part. I thought it might have been a pilot for a Judge Dread series.

Everyone I know who's seen it enjoyed it, especially fans of the comic.  I'm not sure how it slipped through the radar and didn't get a better reception at the box office. 

Perhaps Stallone had poisoned the well for Judge Dredd movie?  If this had been genuinely the first ever Dredd movie, it might have got more interest.

I wonder did Captain Comics spruik it on any of his columns?

I believe it's still currently streamable on Netflix, which is how I saw it recently. It was good.  I liked it much more than the Stallone one (which isn't saying much, I know). Seemed reasonably true to the comics, but I haven't read many of them.

I liked it a lot. I also thought it was brutal.

  It was brutal but Karl Urban did manage to bring some depth to the part and the movie itself had more to it than the Stallone version which was in my opinion just an action picture.  The woman who played his partner also seemed well matched to her roll as did the villainess.

I just saw it a few days ago, and I liked it quite a bit. I thought the Slo-Mo drug was a great excuse for some fun special effects, but with a real flavor of the comics. I'd love to see a sequel. 

Figs said:

I wonder did Captain Comics spruik it on any of his columns?

Yes, here is his column on the movie

I actually just watched the movie about 2 weeks ago, and enjoyed it myself. Had quite a bit of Die Hard in it.

At that time, the Stallone "Judge Dredd" movie was close to the UK comic as an American film company could get to it. The costumes were elaborate, the effects were flashy, and the story itself was adapted from the comics.
But many comic fans, like myself, quickly pointed out some of the major flaws with the film. Many fet it was too 'high-brow' for general audiences. The 'comic relief' character, Ferg, played by Rob Schnieder, screamed too much. And Dredd spend almost the entire film OUT of his helmet.
The Kieth Urban film, "Dredd" (also called DREDD 3D) was closer to the comic's setting than the Stallone film. Mega-City One was shown as an overcrowded sprawl that a mashed-together collection of decaying skyscrapers. Judges were shown to be not just human (& thus, bullet-magnets), but corruptible as well. Urban's Dredd spoke as little as necessary, kept his helmet on, & some of the scenes were rather graphic, but that's life in the Meg.

Note: I've corrected the spelling in the thread title.

  I can't imagine that they'd make a movie with a star like Stallone and have him keep the helmet on throughout.  In all of the marvel superhero movies I've seen, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, they get the masks off every chance that they can get.

Horn'd One said:

At that time, the Stallone "Judge Dredd" movie was close to the UK comic as an American film company could get to it. The costumes were elaborate, the effects were flashy, and the story itself was adapted from the comics.
But many comic fans, like myself, quickly pointed out some of the major flaws with the film. Many fet it was too 'high-brow' for general audiences. The 'comic relief' character, Ferg, played by Rob Schnieder, screamed too much. And Dredd spend almost the entire film OUT of his helmet.
The Kieth Urban film, "Dredd" (also called DREDD 3D) was closer to the comic's setting than the Stallone film. Mega-City One was shown as an overcrowded sprawl that a mashed-together collection of decaying skyscrapers. Judges were shown to be not just human (& thus, bullet-magnets), but corruptible as well. Urban's Dredd spoke as little as necessary, kept his helmet on, & some of the scenes were rather graphic, but that's life in the Meg.

True. Most of a film's draw is the lead star.


Mark S. Ogilvie said:

  I can't imagine that they'd make a movie with a star like Stallone and have him keep the helmet on throughout.  In all of the marvel superhero movies I've seen, Spiderman, Iron Man, Captain America, they get the masks off every chance that they can get.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service