Views: 49015

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another one, written by Chuck Dixon, appeared in the 90s. This issue featured two linked stories with different protagonists. The second story featured a character called Web-Man.
I think Moonstone brought him back for their Pulp revival comic book thingamajig, or they were supposed to.
I kind of like the Wold-Newton idea (I don't know if it was actually Farmer's) that most of G-8's "adventures" are really just fever dreams from a battle-fatigued spy.  That's what would make them great comics -- two-fisted battle action combined with utter insanity.
This article on the messages of Gilligan's Island might be of interest to some here.
Al Avison's Captain America, by Harry Mendryk of the Simon and Kirby blog. Harry asks that people not copy images from his blog without permission as many of the images are under copyright and some are otherwise unpublished.
Here's a History Detectives segment on the comic Negro Romance. The page also has one of the stories from the issue, drawn by Alvin C. Hollingsworth, a young black artist. Link via Harry Mendryk of the Simon and Kirby blog, who also pointed out the scans of the story.

The bestselling novels in United States since 1900, listed year by year, according to Publishers Weekly. I like learning about less well-remembered works and authors, so this kind of thing is interesting to me.

According to Wikipedia the Winston Churchill who appears on the lists for the oughts and the teens was a US novelist, whose novel Richard Carvel was a tremendous success. (It appears eighth in the list for 1900, but it had been published the previous year.)

The Clansman, fourth in 1905, is the racist pro-Klan novel that was the source of the film The Birth of a Nation. I notice another work by Dixon, The One Woman, was ninth in 1903.

Conversely, Churchill's The Crisis, first in 1901, was a pro-Lincoln Civil War novel.

Works by Robert W. Chambers appear on the lists for the oughts and the teens. Chambers was the author of The King in Yellow (1895), a collection of short stories remembered today for its horror pieces.

In the first decades of the 20th century Anna Katharine Green was still writing, but none of her works appear. But a number of works by Mary Roberts Rinehart do, beginning with The Man in Lower Ten in 1909, and ending with The Doctor in 1936.

No works by Edgar Rice Burroughs appear. That makes me wonder if only some kinds of publications were counted. (Can it really be the case that none of the Tarzan novels, in book form, was ever among the top ten bestsellers for its year?)

No works by Edgar Rice Burroughs appear. That makes me wonder if only some kinds of publications were counted. (Can it really be the case that none of the Tarzan novels, in book form, was ever among the top ten bestsellers for its year?)

My guess would be that they were consistent, good sellers, but not best sellers. If we take these numbers to be accurate.

Thanks, Travis.

I've been reading early Mandrake the Magician strips in old issues of The Australian Women's Weekly. The issue for Sat. 29 Dec. 1934 has an ad for a comic called Fatty Finn's Weekly. To put this in perspective, according to DC Indexes the first issue of New Fun (=the first of Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson's comics, which is to say the beginning of DC) came out in Jan. 1935. Fatty Finn was a mischievous boy character who had previously appeared in newspapers and was the creation of Sid Nicholls.

The ad includes the title banners from the issue's features. The other features were

The Phantom Galleon by W.S. Howard, "author of Pieces of Eight

For the Honour of the Legion by Max Harte

The School by the River by Enid Hull

Under the Southern Cross: The Haunted Tunnel

Slurk’s Circus by Will Mahony

The Citadel in the Jungle by Martin Ranger

The Fourth Form of St. David’s by Peter Harvey

Smiffy by Harry Eyre Jr.

Brick Bradford in the City Beneath the Sea

Pete on the Farm by Ron Beumett

The Girls of Clefton Hall by Phyllis E Hill

Percy, Pam and Popsie by Hotpoint

I think some of these, such as The Fourth Form of St. David’s, might be British imports. Brick Bradford was a US newspaper strip. The text of the ad is as follows:

Fatty Finn’s Weekly

More than Just a Comic…

…it’s a magazine as well!

FATTY FINN’S WEEKLY is full of healthy, happy reading for boys and girls of all ages.  School tales, adventure stories, mystery yarns, hobbies, models and competitions for the older children, comics, puzzles, pictures, and other wholesome fun for the smaller folk.

It’s Thrilling – It’s Interesting – It’s Helpful!

16 MONSTER PAGES

STORIES, GAMES, HOBBIES FOR ALL BOYS and GIRLS

The Biggest Comic in the World–and the Best!

Here’s some of the contents…

and there’s much more, of course!

NEW thrilling serials-“For the Honour of the Legion” and “The School by the River,” and 3 other serials.

NEW complete stories of a new series–“The Haunted Tunnel” and several other long complete stories.

NEW full-page comic–“Slurk’s Circus”….. and five other big comics.

And Whack-o-o-oh!

£20 In Cash Prizes

BOYS                                     GIRLS

£5 …. 1st Prize                  £5 …. 1st Prize

£3 …. 2nd Prize                 £3 …. 2nd Prize

£2 …. 3rd Prize                  £2 …. 3rd Prize

All Prizes paid in Cash.

These prizes are to be won in an easy, interesting and helpful competition.

See full details in the–

NEW YEAR NUMBER JUST OUT

Fatty Finn 2D

PARENTS

FATTY FINN’S WEEKLY is the ideal children’s magazine, for it combines happy fun and frolic to amuse, with healthy, interesting reading to stimulate the mental growth of children of all ages.  It carries a wholesome appearance to all boys and girls, and it costs but twopence per week.

The ad can be read online in this issue of The Australian's Women's Weekly at http://trove.nla.gov.au.

One of the creators on the above list is Harry Eyre Jr. I notice he also did a gag strip called Terry and Teddy: The Terrible Twins that ran in The Australian Women's Weekly in the same period.

I've been reading the second issue of Planet Comics. Planet Comics was an SF title, and most of the tales in the first two issues are space adventure tales. But there are two (or one and a half) interesting exceptions in the second issue.

The first of these is "Tiger Hart of Crossbone Castle on the Planet Saturn in the dashing, slashing adventure of the great Solinoor Diamond". I suspect this was originally created as a medieval adventure story. The references to Saturn only occur on the first page, and it otherwise lacks SF elements other than a monster that Tiger briefly fights near the story's climax. The story is credited to "Carlson Merrick". According to the GCD this was Fletcher Hanks, and the story is included in the collection You Shall Die By Your Own Creation! from Fantagraphics. The art is in the naive Hanks style, but quite attractive, and shows Hanks to have been a genuinely capable artist.

The second exception is the "Captain Nelson Cole of the Solar Force" instalment. This starts off as a space adventure story, but the panels in the space adventure part of the tale are unusually large, sparse and crudely drawn. Two thirds of the way through the tale clumsily segues into what seems to be a separately-created medieval fantasy story about a guy called Torro who has magical clothing and a magical whip and uses them to fight a two-headed giant. This part of the tale is easily better-drawn and more interesting. The GCD attributes the medieval fantasy part of the tale to Malcolm Kildale.

Planet Comics #3 was part of an interesting promotion. At that point Fiction House had four titles, Jumbo Comics, Planet Comics, Fight Comics and Jungle Comics (Wings Comics started later in the year). Coupons like newspaper strips, each telling part of a crime/mystery story, were run in each of the titles for the month. An ad on the inside front covers of the comics asked readers to clip these out, solve the mystery from the clues in the coupons, write out their solutions "in no more than 20 words, naming the criminal and giving your reasons", and send them and the coupons in. "The best solution in the opinion of the judges will be paid $5.00. The 20 next best will receive $1.00 each, and a membership in the Junior Manhunters of America as a first class sleuth." The promotion was repeated the next month.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service