Views: 52688

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

photo roflmao.gif

Peter Parker had one. He must have been reading Spider-Man.

I think that's Vincent Price. From "The Return of the Pharaoh", Danger Trail #5. Art by Alex Toth and Bernard Sachs.

It's from a 1951 comic, and it wasn't until House of Wax in 1953 that Price became a horror star (although he starred as the Invisible Man in the Invisible Man Returns [1940]). The inspiration was apparently his role in a 1949 film, Bagdad:

And after you bring it to life you can send it out to kill your enemies.

From The Adventures of Bob Hope #91 (1965).

Luke Blanchard said:

It's from a 1951 comic, and it wasn't until House of Wax in 1953 that Price became a horror star...

Watching a number of his older movies, before his horror work he was a romantic lead and later he was sinister and a murderer.

Apparently, he was also the Saint on radio in the late 40s/early 50s.

The Blackhawks song, from Military Comics #8. Dick French was one of the feature's early writers, but I don't know if he'd written stories for it by this point.

The incident that blew the lid off Zatara's history of counterfeiting.

From Action Comics #20.

Somebody at Citibank, intending to send about $8 million in interest to Revlon's creditors, wired about $900 million. 

Worse, it took a whole day for Citibank to notice the error.

Still worse, about $500 million of it hasn't been returned.

And the punchline: A court said the companies that got the money don't have to give it back.

From CNN Business: "Citibank Can't Get Back $500 Million It Wired by Mistake, Judge Rules"

From "Rover's a Good Dog!", Forbidden Worlds #106 (ACG, 1962). My juxtaposition. The dog is an alien spy.

Luke Blanchard said:

From "Rover's a Good Dog!", Forbidden Worlds #106 (ACG, 1962). My juxtaposition. The dog is an alien spy.

Either that or an industrial accident gives him superpowers.

Jeff and I are checking in. We are in the DFW area in Texas and did lose power most of the day Monday. Since then, we have had heat and power but no internet. The rolling blackouts killed our router. Poor Jeff hasn't been able to post or read anything for a while. We are hoping to get back online Monday or Tuesday.

We are safe, warm, and together. We are thankful it hasn't been worse for us this week. Hope everyone is doing okay. Stay safe and warm. Be careful out there. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service