Views: 56449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, according to real world science the cosmic rays have also made us unable to care whether we use our powers or not.

My initials are R.C. so I suppose I'd have the power to always win the Pepsi Taste Test and tell blindfolded whether that's Coke, Pepsi, RC, or Shasta I'm being offered.

I just might be able to save the day if the Red Skull ever decides to go back to calling himself Hot Fudge.

I guess I'd be fighting crime and alien invasions using my trusty PowerBook.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/treasure-hunter-disappears-searchi...

The antiquities dealer here is probably in for a huge lawsuit if they don't find this guy.

You know, I hope not.

Ronald Morgan said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/treasure-hunter-disappears-searchi...

The antiquities dealer here is probably in for a huge lawsuit if they don't find this guy.

Ronald Morgan said:

Certainly a lawsuit is possible, or even likely---anyone can sue anyone for anything.  But I don't see how it would stand up.  The missing man was a competent adult and aware of the risks; his actions weren't coerced but strictly his personal decision to undertake.

If we hold that a man is responsible for his own actions, then the antiquities dealer cannot be held to blame.

That said, I'm sure someone will try---as I pointed out:  anybody can sue anybody for anything---because we now live in a society where most claim that nothing is their own fault----somebody else caused them to do it.

The woman that sued McDonalds for not telling her that her coffee was hot was supposedly a competent adult, but she won. I wonder if she claimed they coerced her into buying their coffee.

Ronald Morgan said:

The woman that sued McDonalds for not telling her that her coffee was hot was supposedly a competent adult, but she won. I wonder if she claimed they coerced her into buying their coffee.

The plaintiff in that case was  Mrs. Stella Liebeck, a seventy-nine-year-old department store clerk.  She was a passenger in a car driven by her grandson, purchased the coffee from McDonald's, placed the cup between her knees, and then attempted to remove the lid.  The coffee spilled toward her and scalded the epidermis of her thighs, pelvis, and groin.  She was wearing cotton sweatpants, which absorbed the coffee and held it close to her skin.  Mrs. Liebeck sustained third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns on another sixteen percent.

The central issue behind Mrs. Liebeck's suit against McDonald's was that the temperature of its coffee was excessively hot, hotter than would be reasonably expected by a consumer, and that the size and degree of the warning on the cup was insufficient.

McDonald's did not dispute that the temperature of its coffee was 180 degrees.  In other venues, most coffee served piping hot is 130 degrees.  This was one element that affected the jury's decision.

I think the jury was also swayed by the age of the victim and the extent of her injuries.  Understand, this was not an "Owwie!" sort of burn where its red and sore for a week or so, then goes away.  Mrs. Liebeck spent eight days in the hospital, undergoing skin grafts and debraiding; required an additional three weeks confined to bed for recovery; could not walk unaided for two years after the event; and suffered permanent scarring.

The jury did not ignore her own negligence in attempting to open the cup while holding it between her knees.  It found her twenty percent culpable for the incident.  I would have found it at a higher percentage, but, again, I think the jury was swayed by her advanced age and grievous injuries.

Nevertheless, Mrs.Liebeck could not have reasonably expected the coffee to be that hot.  This is in contradistinction to Mr. Randy Bilyeu, who went looking for the treasure knowing full well the dangers involved---both because the dealer, Mr. Fenn, was explicit in warning of the risks and because the risks would be more than apparent to any reasonable man.

This page has images of the half page and two third page versions of an Austin Briggs Flash Gordon Sunday. The images enlarge when clicked. The interesting thing is neither version has all the art. The half version crops the top of the bottom two panels (so it cuts off the top of Valkir's head in panel four) and the two third version crops their sides. The captions are also slightly differently placed in places.

CW has ordered a new live action Archie show pilot. Previous attempts in the 60s and 70s never got past the pilot episode. Let's see if it's picked up for a series this time.

On the Flash Gordon page I was struck by the phrase "the terrific cleavage of the octoshark's tentacles."

I wonder if this was an inspiration for the 2010 movie Sharktopus? Or do great minds just think alike?

Wasn't that by Roger Corman?

Commander Benson, thank you for the summation of the Liebeck vs McDonald's case. It's still held up as an example of a frivolous suit when it was anything but. There is no reason for coffee to be served hot enough to cause third-degree burns.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service