Views: 34920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion



Dave Palmer said:

Titano looks a bit like an angry Zoidberg.

And how deep is the water??

The Baron said:



Dave Palmer said:

Titano looks a bit like an angry Zoidberg.

Is it me, or is one of his arms/claws longer than the other?

Philip Portelli said:

And how deep is the water??

The Baron said:



Dave Palmer said:

Titano looks a bit like an angry Zoidberg.

"Is it me, or is one of his arms/claws longer than the other?"

That's very possible. He could be regenerating a claw after having it torn off.

Or maybe one claw is double-jointed.



Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Is it me, or is one of his arms/claws longer than the other?"

That's very possible. He could be regenerating a claw after having it torn off.

A sure sign a title is in trouble is when the reprint makes the cover. And it wasn't even a very good reprint. There are plenty of better Kirby monsters they could have used. And Wally Wood should have made the cover.
 
Dave Palmer said:

Marie Severin's cover layout for Sub-Mariner #33

The post misses something. On the final cover Krang was replaced by Byrrah, which fits the story better. (The story involves both villains, but Byrrah is the front man.)

We had some fun with Titano.  Here's another, much more well-known Titano.  The movie "Titano versus Titano" would seem to be a natural. I'd pay to see that. Superman #127 is dated February 1959 and #138 is July 1960.  Marvel's Titano originally appeared in Tales to Astonish #10, July 1960.

Here are the covers to Tower of Shadows #7 (September 1970) and Tales to Astonish #10 (July 1960) featuring "I was Trapped by Titano the Monster That Time Forgot!"  The GCD notes that the original was by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and that Marie Severin did alterations for the 1970 version.  I wonder what the rationale was for the cover changes, beside redoing the word balloons which would have looked dated in 1970.  I like the original better.

Interesting the notes mention Krang if he's not the main villain. Byrrah dates from the Golden Age but never caught on in the Silver Age or later.
 
Luke Blanchard said:

Marie Severin's cover layout for Sub-Mariner #33

The post misses something. On the final cover Krang was replaced by Byrrah, which fits the story better. (The story involves both villains, but Byrrah is the front man.)

Changes were made on all of the old covers that were reprinted back then, usually by Marie Severin. She made alterations to Groot as well. For awhile she was getting a lot of the covers for the company.  
 
Dave Palmer said:

Here are the covers to Tower of Shadows #7 (September 1970) and Tales to Astonish #10 (July 1960) featuring "I was Trapped by Titano the Monster That Time Forgot!"  The GCD notes that the original was by Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko and that Marie Severin did alterations for the 1970 version.  I wonder what the rationale was for the cover changes, beside redoing the word balloons which would have looked dated in 1970.  I like the original better.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service