Views: 32610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should note Black Fury started before Fury. I figure the show had been announced, and the Charlton guys rushed their title out.

A-girl-and-her-horse stories used to be a genre in British girls' comics.

Luke,

Have you already posted these?

Tomahawk #31 (March 1955)

Batman #122 (March 1959)

Blackhawk #155 (December 1960)

To go with the above, there always seems to be someone who is bummed at a DC wedding.

Adventure Comics #337 (October 1965)

Except for the bride and groom no one looks happy at this wedding (Wonder Woman #155, Jul 1965).

Well, Doc certainly looks enchanted (Metal Men #17, December 1965-January 1966)

Somebody's always displeased it seems (Flash #165, November 1966).

Luke,

What's weird about the Tomahawk cover is that it is the first one in the "series."  There wasn't anything to parody yet, unless we're missing something earlier, perhaps.

Thanks, Dave. As I said, that's a fun set I couldn't have put together.

I made the mistake of taking my post down while you were replying to avoid interrupting your sequence. on your lines. To make up for it I had a quick look to see if I could find an earlier one. I couldn't really: the closest I came were

All-American Comics #91 (1947)

-Green Lantern and the Harlequin. At the time the Harlequin was a criminal, so the honour guard consists of criminals on one side, police on the other.

Captain Marvel Adventures #150 (1953)

-The nervous bridegroom theme. Compare "Uncle Marvel's Wedding" from Captain Marvel Adventures #59 (not cover featured), introducing Aunt Minerva.

While looking I stumbled on Girls' Romances #90 (1963). The notable thing is it's quite close to the Flash #165 cover in layout.

I've put together a list of further superhero marriage covers in the next post.

Further superhero and weddings covers:

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #21 (1957)

-This could be considered a twist on the Tomahawk type: the pal doesn't mind.

Action Comics #307 (1963)

-A Supergirl cover. Here the discordant note is the thought balloon of the groom. Adventure Comics #390 reprinted the story and used a happy couple image.

Aquaman #18 (1964)

-Superhero guests.

Fantastic Four Annual #3 (1965)

-The copy emphasises the marriage but the image has no marriage imagery. It does sell the issue as a big event, though.

The Doom Patrol #104 (1966)

-Superhero guests. Villain interrupts the wedding.

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #98 (1966)

-A wacky wedding cover with a reluctant groom and outrageous bride.

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #100 (1967)

-Jimmy and Lucy. Superman's thoughts make this a bit like the Tomahawk group.

The Avengers #60 (1969)

-Villains interrupt the reception.

Detective Comics #407 (1971)

-Marriage of Man-Bat. The cover has an abducted bride image.

Sub-Mariner #36 (1971)

-Namor and Dorma. The copy refers to the marriage, but you'd never know it from the image. When Namor married Marrina in Alpha Flight #40 it didn't even get a blurb on the cover.

Wonder Woman #194

-Royal wedding. Marriage at the point of a gun. Reluctant bride.

Mister Miracle #18 (1974)

-Scott and Barda. Superhero guests. Villains interrupt the wedding.

The Amazing Spider-Man #131 (1974)

-Aunt May and Doc Ock. This is another wacky wedding.

The Amazing Spider-Man #156 (1976)

-Ned Leeds and Betty Brant. Criminals interrupt the wedding.

Batman Family #11 (1977)

-Marriage at the point of a gun. Reluctant bride and groom.

Jonah Hex #45 (1981)

-Jonah and Mei Ling. Villains interrupt the church exit.

The Uncanny X-Men #172 (1983)

-Wolverine and Mariko. The wedding is represented by the wedding invitation. A knife struck into it adds a ominous note.

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #18 (1984)

-JJJ and Marla Madison. As with Fantastic Four Annual #3 and Sub-Mariner #36 the copy prominently the marriage but the image doesn't show it.

Action Comics #567 (1985)

-The stop-the-wedding type.

Batman and the Outsiders Annual #2 (1985)

-Metamorpho and Sapphire. Dead or missing bride.

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 (1987)

-Alternative covers. One shows the supporting cast. (Some Superman-related ones are like this.) The other has heroes vs villains in the background and Spidey in costume. The central image is of the happy couple.

Lois Lane wedding covers are a whole topic by themselves, so I'm giving them their own post.

On these covers it's always Lois who's getting married. A couple of the covers have proposal rather than marriage imagery (#41, #54 [wacky enagagement], #61 [ditto], #69 [reluctant fiancee]). More covers have thought balloons about marriage or Superman-and-wife imagery.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #37 (1962)
-Miserable bride cover. Superman's supporting cast as guests.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #42 (1963)

-A wacky wedding.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #58 (1965)

-Royal wedding. Exotic ceremony.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #68 (1966)
-Reprint issue of the theme "Lois' romances". Happy couple main image.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #79 (1967)

-This is a reluctant bride cover I suppose, but the emphasis is on Superman's callousness. A triangle cover.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #82 (1968)

-Dead couple image. The dialogue says they died on their honeymoon.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #86 (1968)
-Reprint issue on the theme "Lois' schemes and dreams to marry Superman". Happy couple main image.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #89 (1969)

-Romantic triangle cover. The best man wishes the bride were marrying him.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #90 (1969)

-Just-married couple in suspended animation. Comp. #82. Frustration of the failed lover again.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #103 (1970)

-A wacky wedding, but subtly so? It looks like a marriage at a costume party.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #105 (1970)

-A tragic wedding.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #108 (1971)

-Rear-view stop-the-wedding.

Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #128 (1972)

-Dead bride.

The Superman Family #172 (1975)

-Rear-view stop-the-wedding.

The Superman Family #181 (1977)

-The medieval dress aligns this one with royal weddings. Reluctant bride. Groom (Superman) in a wacky state.

I just had a lovely conversation with my son. He's all growed up now and is a professional graphic artist. His day job is with a global engineering firm, but he does freelance work, and is illustrating a children's book. So he called to ask how comic books are made, because he was wondering if the process is similar to what he's doing.

So I walked him through all of it -- full-script vs. Marvel-style scripting, pencils and inks on Bristol board vs. drawing with a stylus and software, coloring with Doc Higgins inks vs. Photoshop, hand-lettering vs. computer fonts, sending pages via FedEx from penciller to inker to letterer vs. sending electronic files (and not having to allow several days for those pages to get from penciller to inker to letterer), photographing the pages to make the printing plates vs. using the electronic files to do so. 

It's nice to be able to pass on the wisdom accumulated through a life of reading comics. old photo old.gif

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service