Views: 37906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is the logo of The Man Called Nova #23. Many earlier issues had the above title blurb "He's here! The ULTIMATE super-hero!" This was the first one with this wording:

And this is the last issue's:

He was never really taken that seriously again from what I remember. Like when they demoted him to "Kid" Nova from regular Nova. Like the truth in advertising on #25.

Can't let it go without a mention - He was taken seriously again - the excellent series that began with the Annihilation wave crossover - honestly, quality stuff worthy of a checking out.
 
Ronald Morgan said:

He was never really taken that seriously again from what I remember. Like when they demoted him to "Kid" Nova from regular Nova. Like the truth in advertising on #25.

Images from the GCD.

But how many years did he go through not being taken seriously before that story happened?
 
Richard Mantle said:

Can't let it go without a mention - He was taken seriously again - the excellent series that began with the Annihilation wave crossover - honestly, quality stuff worthy of a checking out.
 
Ronald Morgan said:

He was never really taken that seriously again from what I remember. Like when they demoted him to "Kid" Nova from regular Nova. Like the truth in advertising on #25.

I suspect that the Lakota Sioux headdress stuck in the minds of the general public because of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, and that this simplification was picked up by the movies which followed right after it.

Luke Blanchard said:

That makes a lot of sense.

I've been reading Fiction House's Indians #1 and wanted to know if Indian girls and women wore feather headbands. The link says they're a northeastern form of dress.

I found a thread in which several respondents say 19th century photographers sometimes gave their subjects props.

This GCD page on the last issue of Dell's The Lone Ranger's Companion Tonto has an interesting observation about the puma on the cover. The GCD credits both covers to Morris Gollub.

Horse comics were a genre mid-century. Here's what I've found:

-Roy Rogers's Trigger starred in solo stories in Dell Roy Rogers comics, in two issues of Four Color, and in his own title, Roy Rogers' Trigger, from 1951-54. Roy Rogers Comics was retitled Roy Rogers and Trigger after the series ended, and he appeared in more stories there. Trigger also starred in a couple of stories in Western Roundup and co-starred in more with the dog Bullet.

-Silver, the Lone Ranger’s horse, starred in issues of Four Color in 1951 and 1952, then in his own series, The Lone Ranger’s Famous Horse Hi-Yo Silver, from 1952-1960. He also had stories in The Lone Ranger's Western Treasury #1(1)-#2.

-Gene Autry's Champion starred in two issues of Four Color and then in Gene Autry's Champion from 1954-1955. When it ended Gene Autry Comics was retitled Gene Autry and Champion, and he had more stories there.

-Dell published 9 issues of Four Color licensed from a children's TV show called Fury, in 1957-1962. The GCD also lists two issues featuring the property from Western, a March of Comics issue from 1960 and a sole Gold Key issue of Fury from 1962.

-Charlton had a title called Black Fury, obviously titled after the show, that ran irregularly from 1955-1966.

-Charlton also published Rocky Lane's Black Jack from 1957-1959, and afterwards used the horse in supporting slots in other titles.

-Fiction House's Indians #1-#17 carried a series about colt called Orphan that belonged to a Cheyenne community. There may have been more back-page features like this.

I can't find a Marvel one, but it did try a wonder dog in Blaze the Wonder Collie, in 1949.

A few one-offs are mentioned here.

(1) The GCD doesn't have the contents of #1 listed, so I checked it by a description at an online auction.

There was this horse at the site of the 1795 Wold Cottage meteor strike, whose descendants....


Luke Blanchard said:

Horse comics were a genre mid-century. Here's what I've found:

-Roy Rogers's Trigger starred in solo stories in Dell Roy Rogers comics, in two issues of Four Color, and in his own title, Roy Rogers' Trigger, from 1951-54. Roy Rogers Comics was retitled Roy Rogers and Trigger after the series ended, and he appeared in more stories there. Trigger also starred in a couple of stories in Western Roundup and co-starred in more with the dog Bullet.

-Silver, the Lone Ranger’s horse, starred in issues of Four Color in 1951 and 1952, then in his own series, The Lone Ranger’s Famous Horse Hi-Yo Silver, from 1952-1960. He also had stories in The Lone Ranger's Western Treasury #1(1)-#2.

-Gene Autry's Champion starred in two issues of Four Color and then in Gene Autry's Champion from 1954-1955. When it ended Gene Autry Comics was retitled Gene Autry and Champion, and he had more stories there.

-Dell published 9 issues of Four Color licensed from a children's TV show called Fury, in 1957-1962. The GCD also lists two issues featuring the property from Western, a March of Comics issue from 1960 and a sole Gold Key issue of Fury from 1962.

-Charlton had a title called Black Fury, obviously titled after the show, that ran irregularly from 1955-1966.

-Charlton also published Rocky Lane's Black Jack from 1957-1959, and afterwards used the horse in supporting slots in other titles.

-Fiction House's Indians #1-#17 carried a series about colt called Orphan that belonged to a Cheyenne community. There may have been more back-page features like this.

I can't find a Marvel one, but it did try a wonder dog in Blaze the Wonder Collie, in 1949.

A few one-offs are mentioned here.

(1) The GCD doesn't have the contents of #1 listed, so I checked it by a description at an online auction.

I should note Black Fury started before Fury. I figure the show had been announced, and the Charlton guys rushed their title out.

A-girl-and-her-horse stories used to be a genre in British girls' comics.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service