Views: 36387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frank Miller's 300.

Eric Shanower's A Thousand Ships.

Dave Palmer said:

Would Golden Gladiator from early issues of The Brave and the Bold work for your ancient Rome search?

Certainly! That must be the longest-running one.

Also, I read somewhere that some of the Shining Knight's stories were set in the time of King Arthur. Can anyone confirm this?

DC Indexes's Character Chronology places three items before his long sleep: the Camelot part of his origin story, the flashback in "The Ten-Century Lie!", and "The Duel of the Flying Knights!" But there were also stories in which the Knight and his boy sidekick Sir Butch travelled back to Camelot or had an adventure in Camelot. One of them was the story of how Butch was knighted. Apparently there were seven stories like this, plus Camelot framing bits in "Knight of the Future!"

"The Ten-Century Lie!", "The Duel of the Flying Knights!" and "Knight of the Future!" were drawn by Frank Frazetta. In the 80s DC published a short-lived Baxter series called The Masterworks Series of Great Comic Book Artists, which I mention because it might be possible to find the issues at a decent price. The first two featured work by Frazetta, mostly Shining Knight tales. The former two stories appeared in #1, and the third in #2. In "The Ten-Century Lie!" a document from Arthur's time seems to show the Knight ran from a fight. The Knight tells Sir Butch the true story, then clears his reputation. "The Duel of the Flying Knights!" is set in Camelot and lacks a flashback frame. The Knight has to fight a flying knight from ancient Greece. In "Knight of the Future!" Merlin accidentally sends the Knight and Butch into the future when trying to call them back to the past.

Frozen for centuries, blond, high morals... the Shining Knight is DC's Captain America!

Thanks, Jeff. They're good examples.

130,000-year-old mastodon bones could rewrite story of how humans first appeared in the Americas

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-americas-first-...

I've been reading a preview for Dark Horse's third Doctor Solar collection at Google Books. The preview it gave me included the story from #15 and the first 12 pages of the story from #16. I think at least part of #16 was ghost pencilled by Curt Swan! Check out the scene where the motorcyclist reports to Nuro (pp.7-8, or 41-42 in Dark Horse's volume): that's got to be Swan! I think I can also see his hand clearly in the inset panel on the splash page and the parts with Nuro and Aral Uzbek.

I'm reading Charlton's Kid Montana #39. The stories are by Pete Morisi. The first one involves a race to a lost temple, and has this page:

I think it imitates a sequence from a Spirit story I once saw in a book about comics. The Spirit and a guy with an Arab name are racing each other to a lost temple/city/tomb. There's a vista panel with the name of the destination, like the middle tier above. The Spirit and his opponent find different ways in but reach the central chamber simultaneously. I mean to review the Kid Montana issue and want to know if my recollection's accurate. Has anyone read the story?

Image from Comic Book Plus. Click to enlarge.

I just read the Kid Montana story. The oddest thing about it is the concept of Plains Indians having a large temple and an idol. Generally, the Plains Indians acknowledged and prayed to the Great Spirit, a single God.

Temples, pyramids etc were present in the Aztec and Mayan cultures, which were nowhere near the area of the story. Since it wouldn't make sense to have Kid Montana visit India or Asia, maybe they should have had had him go to Mexico or Central America.

The premise of an artefact that, if uncovered, will unleash war reminded me of The Mask of Fu Manchu. But the idea may have been common in adventure fiction.

So some brilliant people with time on their hands redid the entire Sergeant Pepper album so that the songs, in order, retell the plot of the original Star Wars:

"Luke is in the Desert and Whining." Classic.

Uncanny Tales #18 (1954), and Captain America #131 (1970)

I've been looking at Charlton covers, and was struck by how good this one was. It's Charlton's Ghostly Tales #106 (1973), art by Tom Sutton.

Here's another Tom Sutton one:

Haunted Love #6 (1974)

Sutton did several of the covers of this series and kept varying his style. This one looks like a DC cover:

Haunted Love #5 (1973)

Sutton also did a couple of painted covers for the series.

Here's Steve Ditko being hallucinatory:

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #31 (1972)

This one shows his design skill:

Haunted #1 (1971)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service