Views: 45291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are the odds of two neighboring stores both having swords handy during a robbery? Weird.

"Andrew" is, of course, the correct spelling. And I will accept Andru, as perhaps a derivative of Andre, or Andreas.

But "Andruw" is an offense to the universe and blood must be spilled.

So where do you stand on Ahndroo?

Acceptable for full-blooded Hittites only.

The fart spray is a nice touch.

Things I never thought I'd see #3176:
The 10th Doctor (David Tennant) as drawn by Jerry "the King" Lawler

Asimov gets a few things right. He greatly overestimated our presence in space, but he saw broadly where the information/computer revolution was going.

I chortled at the follow-up op/ed's title, "Asimov was no Nostradamus."

No, he was specific and, in that sense, more accurate when he got it right, which is always hit and miss for SF writers and futurists. But vague astrologer-poets trying to pass as prophets, excerpted as selectively-mis/translated and rearranged fragments?

Nostradamus was no Nostradamus.

Richard Willis said:

JD DeLuzio said:

....he saw broadly where the information/computer revolution was going.

He was also pretty accurate on robotics and its effect on low-skill jobs. Also home computing.

I think we're all familiar with how wrong a great many SF writers and futurists got our current time. We never got our flying cars or personal jet-packs, and we've pretty much figured out that manned space-flight is mostly impractical (at least until some sort of quantum leap in technology.) And just about all of them got smoking wrong -- they thought we'd be puffing away on our manned space flights. And if we find any extraterrestrial life, it probably won't be giant brain squids, but more likely microbes.

I have no problem with that, though. They were trying, and we should always try to see the future. Sometimes the fiction becomes the reality, as Star Trek communicators inspired flip-phones. Still hoping for warp drive and transporters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service