Views: 47209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a winter filled with bad news, sad events and abrupt changes, I received an e-mail from my LCS which I have been getting my books for over 25 years is closing at the end of this month! Their rent was raised 40% so they're shutting down and not relocating.

Shocked and dismayed, I have begun looking for a new shop. Now that I lost my 25% discount, I am not thrilled by the 10-15% offers I've seen, especially where the trade paperbacks are concerned. I may get those from Amazon.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! 

RIP Chameleon Comics (1992-2019). Thank you for your service!

Philip Portelli said:

In a winter filled with bad news, sad events and abrupt changes, I received an e-mail from my LCS which I have been getting my books for over 25 years is closing at the end of this month! Their rent was raised 40% so they're shutting down and not relocating.

Shocked and dismayed, I have begun looking for a new shop. Now that I lost my 25% discount, I am not thrilled by the 10-15% offers I've seen, especially where the trade paperbacks are concerned. I may get those from Amazon.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! 

RIP Chameleon Comics (1992-2019). Thank you for your service!

Too bad, Philip.bad mood photo badmood.gif

Last night, I watched an episode of The Carol Burnett Show. In it, Carol sang a song about how much comics meant to her as an awkward 13-year-old. The song mentions Prince Valiant, Little Orphan Annie, Captain Marvel, and Sheena. Dick van Dyke plays Valiant, Vicki Lawrence plays Annie, Tim Conway plays Captain Marvel, and Carol plays Sheena.

I remember Tim Conway dressing as Superman in an episode of Yes, Dear, but I found that he did in an episode of Turn On! also.

I still had the CBS episode on the DVR and got a couple of screenshots.

I don't remember this episode from way back.

It goes without saying that Carol let loose her Tarzan yell.

Absolutely, she did.

This episode aired in November 1977.

Funny, I don't remeber that episode of The Carol Burnett Show, either.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

I remember Tim Conway dressing as Superman in an episode of Yes, Dear, but I found that he did in an episode of Turn On! also.

There was only one episode of Turn-On that made it to air; it is in the exclusive club of TV flops that got canceled with the first episode.* Host Tim Conway has said Turn-On got canceled WHILE IT WAS RUNNING! According to the Turn-On Wikipedia entry (here), the ABC station in Cleveland ran a black screen and organ music after the first commercial break, and several West Coast stations refused to run it after they saw how it fouled up the East Coast airwaves. 

*(We discussed those in a previous incarnation of the board, but that's gone where websites go to die.)

I thought we has a "Cheese" discussion but I can't find it (and don't have time to look), so I'll just note here that I tried two new cheeses over the weekend: Somerdale Sage Derby and Milko Swedish Farmer Cheese. Yum yum.

Well that's a cheesy comment!

And now, here's Elle Fanning:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I thought we has a "Cheese" discussion but I can't find it (and don't have time to look), so I'll just note here that I tried two new cheeses over the weekend: Somerdale Sage Derby and Milko Swedish Farmer Cheese. Yum yum.

MONOPOLY PIECES: A couple of weeks ago, Tracy and I were shopping and passed the current version of Monopoly on an endcap. I couldn’t help but notice that there were several new tokens. I knew about the cat. Several years ago, a new piece was put to a vote on the internet (home of the cat freaks). The cat token beat out my personal favorite, the robot. I mentioned it to Tracy and, a couple of days later, she found a Monopoly card game online with a one-off robot token and ordered it for me. The robot is my favorite of the new pieces (or proposed new pieces, in this case); traditionally, I play the top hat.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service