Views: 45915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

; traditionally, I play the top hat.

But enough about your private life.

I bought an old Clue game on kijiji awhile back, because the new ones (unless you buy a "retro" edition) have modified the suspects.I am not accusing a game designer or a pro athlete of murder in an old manor!  Then we ordered, cheap, a set of detailed tokens of the familiar suspects from ebay.

We've played it once, thus far, bringing it to a Clue party where people dressed as their characters. I went with the British original, the Reverend Green (he was defrocked for the American market).

The set looks like this, and includes a couple of extra suspects added to a "Deluxe" edition in the early 2000s. These include Monsieur Brunette and Madame Rose (a medium). As I understand it, the gardener/gravedigger isn't a true suspect, but a guy who can block your entrance to various rooms.

I had to take my car into the shop today because the radio suddenly stopped working -- and the power mirrors, and cigarette lighter, which is where I plug in the phone charger. It so happens that it's time for the annual maintenance check, which means changing the oil, topping off the fluids and rotating the tires. Plus, there's other stuff we've put off because they are needed but not crucial -- changing the power steering fluid and cleaning the fuel system.

This morning, I get an email out of the blue; a guy who has hired me in the past to do some fact-checking and copy editing wants me to copy edit a book.

The copy editing gig pays $800.

The car repairs come to $797.97.

"...the radio suddenly stopped working -- and the power mirrors, and cigarette lighter, which is where I plug in the phone charger."

Sounds like a fuse.

"The copy editing gig pays $800.

The car repairs come to $797.97."

Synchronicity!

It reminds me of a Sunday Candorville strip that I never forgot. I wish I had kept it, because it was suitable for framing. 

Old buddies Susan and Lemont are hanging out, as they often do, thinking to themselves.

Lemont is thinking, "Every time I save a little money, God sends an emergency and takes it away."

Susan is thinking, "Every time I have an emergency, God makes sure I have a little money saved."

Notre Dame is burning down. This is a tragedy for the world.

I'm so sad right now. I promised The Lad years ago that we'd take him to Paris one day. It never quite seemed to be the right time.

It's a huge loss.

Somebody who doesn't know how these things work and doesn't know enough to keep his mouth shut asked why a "flying water cannon" couldn't air drop a load of water onto the fire.

The people who do know how these things work pointed out that the weight of that much water on a fragile 800-year-old edifice would collapse the structure.

Not to mention, when air-dropping water on, say, a forest fire, one doesn't need for the water to land on an exact, specific spot. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"...the radio suddenly stopped working -- and the power mirrors, and cigarette lighter, which is where I plug in the phone charger."

Sounds like a fuse.

Yes, indeed, it was a fuse. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"The copy editing gig pays $800.

The car repairs come to $797.97."

Synchronicity!

Unfortunately, they found an nail in the tire, so that raised the total a bit. But fortunately, between my AAA discount and frequent customer points, I saved a hundred bucks. The grand total was $693.91.

It's terrible. By being careful not to crush everything, there may be hope that they can recreate the cathedral. If it happened fifty years ago it would have been worse. I'm confidant that, especially since they were in the process of restoring it, there exist many digitized records and detailed photographs that will enable the eventual recreation of Notre Dame. I'm sure there are few Frenchmen who would pinch pennies doing this.

Captain Comics said:

Notre Dame is burning down. This is a tragedy for the world.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service