Views: 46002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I missed Free Comic Book Day last year because I was at a Con, but I made it this year, and put together a video. Despite significant construction downtown, it proved quite a success:

I completely forgot about FCBD this year. On Saturday we travelled to a nearby town to visit a used bookstore which had something I wanted listed on Amazon. Then we walked the town square. There was a comics shop and we did go in, but I didn’t even notice any signage or tables of free comics. (FCBD coincided with the Dallas Fan Expo this year.) On Sunday I went to my back-up store, but they were out of almost everything.

A new offering from DC Entertainment. Socks made to look like the "Shazam" costume, including a cape on the back of the socks. Someone had to think this up!

I guess I always assumed he was, or just didn't think about it. What's the story?

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The article says Napoleon III was a direct descendant of Napoleon Bonaparte, but he wasn't.

Napoleon II was old Boney's son.  He was briefly Emperor of the French after the second fall of the Old Man, although not widely recognized as such.  Nap III was Number One's nephew, and took the "III" as a nod to his cousin's brief reign.

Captain Comics said:

I guess I always assumed he was, or just didn't think about it. What's the story?

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

The article says Napoleon III was a direct descendant of Napoleon Bonaparte, but he wasn't.

Fine, but can you explain how Peter Noone was Henry the Eighth?

You see, he got married to the widow next door. She's been married seven times before and, remarkable as it sounds, every single one of those blokes was an Henry.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

Fine, but can you explain how Peter Noone was Henry the Eighth?

I have a complete collection of Sports Illustrated (and by “Sports Illustrated” I mean the swimsuit issues) going back to 1982. This year, I completely forgot to buy one! Usually they come out in February, but for whatever reason it came out in May for 2019. I would have completely forgotten about it had I not seen Tyra Banks talking about it on TV. (She snagged the cover spot some 20 or so years and 20 or so pounds after the last time she held it.) the women they are using as models these days are truly diverse.

Sports Illustrated started doing swimsuit issues in 1964. As I mentioned above, my collection doesn’t go back quite that far, however, I do have the third issue ever, which also features a girl in a swimsuit on the cover. I wasn’t even certain quite what it was I was buying until I got it home. I could tell it was an older issue, and it did say something about “volume three” on the cover, but I thought it was volume three of some sort of special series or something.

I had seen it at Half Price Books for months and watched the price drop from $90 to $30. When it got to $30, I took it to the counter and offered $20. It was then the guy told me someone had brought in the first three issues to sell. The first two sold very quickly, but no one wanted the swimsuit cover. They covered a diverse range of “sports” in those days, including badminton and soapbox derbies.

I guess this is a place to post this. After almost a year I am finally decorating my home office, and I thought there might be some interest in this: 

Very cool, Mark! I really dig it.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I guess this is a place to post this. After almost a year I am finally decorating my home office, and I thought there might be some interest in this: 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service