Views: 47269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think the word "gay" had today's meaning in the 40s, or even the 50s.

JD DeLuzio said:

Like Star Comics' notorious Riverdale wannabes "Butch Dykeman" and "Toni Gay," it's very difficult to believe the creators of this 1940s Timely comic were naively creating double meanings by accident:

It did, in fact. That usage wasn't mainstream yet, but it dates back to the 1920s. Wertham's notorious Seduction of the Innocent (1954) even acknowledges that specific slang usage, though it would have been news to many of his readers, who would have only known the "fun and carefree" meaning. If the creators of this cover were being deliberate, it would be very like "Butch Dykeman" and "Toni Gay." Many people have wondered if the writers at Star were being deliberate, in a way that would fly over the head of the mainstream, and certainly the kids. Butch and Toni's teen comic world features a number of panels that seem to play like a deliberate joke on the part of the creative team.

Richard Willis said:

I don't think the word "gay" had today's meaning in the 40s, or even the 50s.

JD DeLuzio said:

Like Star Comics' notorious Riverdale wannabes "Butch Dykeman" and "Toni Gay," it's very difficult to believe the creators of this 1940s Timely comic were naively creating double meanings by accident:

I'm told that this is the 50th anniversary of Scooby-Doo. The US Postal Service has come out with a stamp sheet celebrating this. For those who don't know, the word "forever" means that a first class stamp purchased at today's rate is good for all future mailings. This avoids the printing expense and annoyance of extra 1-and-2-cent stamps when rates increase.

Richard Willis said:

With Not-Quite-Hurricare Ivo off the Pacific Coast, can Amazo be far behind?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-storm-ivo-to-b...

A couple of years ago, at the end of a holiday in Germany, I was stuck overnight in a train at Hannover station when almost the entire German railway system came to a halt as a result of Cyclone Xavier.  I was a little disappointed that the storm wasn't called Ororo instead.

My dad had a few old PS magazines hanging around, with the Will Eisner illustrations (he'd served with the Corps of Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and then worked in mechanical maintenance for the rest of his career), so I'd seen them, but I only just learned that Spider-man more recently made a licensed appearance in that magazine:

I discovered the story here.

I have a couple of 50+ year old issues by Eisner.

While I'm recuperating, I find myself limited in what I can safely do. Pulling out and digging through long boxes is sadly a no-go! But while looking through one of the closets downstairs, I discovered that I have the 2005 Toy Biz GALACTUS build-A-Figure in great condition!

I thought that I had some pieces but had forgotten that I had the whole figure! It's 16 inches tall and pretty hefty! On a whim, I checked out Amazon and was amazed to see it listed for $750!! Of course, Ebay has it for $150-$200 so there's that! 

Still it's a nice piece!

André the Giant wrestles a guy in a Batman costume.

Originally aired in French TV on 1/5/68 pic.twitter.com/9TPGa3pHGH

— Allan (@allan_cheapshot) October 29, 2019 " target="_blank">From French TV in 1968, young Andre the Giant...

Metaphor Fail Dept.

Just heard a reporter on a stand-up at a California wildfire say that if the firefighters can't stop the wildfire where it is, "it will spread like wildfire."

I am not making this up.

That's like saying, "Those hotcakes are selling like hotcakes!" or "The old radiator was hissing like an old radiator."

Discovered a new taste sensation yesterday: blue cheese and bacon potato salad.

DEE-licious!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service