Views: 50793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron M. said:

Took awhile for the "Scarlet" Witch to actually be scarlet, at least on the covers.

Luke Blanchard said:

Probably the cover colourist coloured her green to contrast with Magneto. I notice Quicksilver is blue on the same issues; I think he was green inside. The covers may be where the inspiration for switching him to a blue costume came from.

Maybe her red hair was enough of a justification to call her the "Scarlet" Witch.

In the Kooky Quartet era, Wanda's hair color varied from black to brown to steel gray, but it seems it wasn't until after her return to the Avengers late in the Silver Age, or very early Bronze Age, take your pick, that it was consistantly colored a reddish brown, but never the same sort of red as Mary Jane, Jean Grey or Medusa.

I remember reading Marvel Triple Action and wondering why her hair was black. Can't put the blame on this mistake on Stan's bad memory, although the colorist might have had the same problem. I remember the Black Widow having black hair too, although that would match her name.

IIRC, the Black Widow had black hair until her appearance in Amazing Spider-Man, where she debuted both her final* costume and her red hair.

*as far as I know

Ron M. said:

I remember reading Marvel Triple Action and wondering why her hair was black. Can't put the blame on this mistake on Stan's bad memory, although the colorist might have had the same problem. I remember the Black Widow having black hair too, although that would match her name.

The Black Widow changed so much she might as well not be the same character that was in Tales of Suspense.
There's a bit of red here, although it might be a coloring error, since there's also red on her arm.

The Cold War Black Widow could be the grandmother of the modern Black Widow.  Of course, that doesn't help Tony Stark, who should be in his 80s now.

The top row of today's Flash Gordon has artwork by Joe Kubert and John Romita, Sr. There's a little more about it on this page on Jim Keefe's site.

Thanks for the heads-up. I believe this was the final new storyline.

Movie Tony Stark would seem close since his father was active during WWII.                                          

Fred W. Hill said:

The Cold War Black Widow could be the grandmother of the modern Black Widow.  Of course, that doesn't help Tony Stark, who should be in his 80s now.

So was my father.

So was mine. But I don't think 616 Iron Man is supposed to be in his 50s. Not the way Marvel pushes youth and said Spider-Man is too young to be married. (Although if Galactus landed 12 years ago like they say Peter must be 30 since he was in college.)

I think Robert Downey Jr. is about six months younger than I am.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service