Views: 47884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From what I can tell at least one version of the script survives, and a continuity script based on the finished film. There was a novelisation by Marie Coolidge-Rask, which was republished a few years ago. And another prose retelling appeared in a British story paper called Boy's Cinema, and has been reprinted in London After Midnight: A New Reconstruction Based on Contemporary Sources by Thomas Mann.

Here's a fun recreation of a sequence. It manipulates still images to create movement, and this works surprisingly well.

The pressbook calls Chaney's character a hypnotist-detective, though the still pictures seem to be portraying him as a villain. The character being a hypnotist-detective makes me wonder if the film was an inspiration for The Shadow.

Interesting thought. I'd never considered a possible connection to the Shadow before.

Chaney's character is, of course, in the movie, SPOILER

Richard Willis said:

The pressbook calls Chaney's character a hypnotist-detective, though the still pictures seem to be portraying him as a villain. The character being a hypnotist-detective makes me wonder if the film was an inspiration for The Shadow.

I'm at work and can't watch a video, Richard -- what's the skinny?

Richard Willis said:

It's worth watching when you are able. Basically, the rough cut had a lot of structure problems and unneeded scenes. There was also too much information that wasn't yet relevant dumped on the viewer too soon. If it had been released without drastic recutting it probably would have tanked and George Lucas never would have become rich.

Captain Comics said:

I'm at work and can't watch a video, Richard -- what's the skinny?

Richard Willis said:

There's a colour 1960s (?) war film which has a sequence half-way through where a tank attacks a German depot and causes a huge fire. My recollection is the elaborate special effects sequence was recycled from another film. Does that ring any bells with anyone? I thought the recycling film was The Battle of the Bulge (1965), but it doesn't seem to be.

The recycling film was Raid on Rommel (1971). The sequence was from Tobruk (1967).

7 Myths About Swords YouTube video (some bloody imagery)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service