Views: 44904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a list by year of all of the sci-fi movies from 1970 to 1979:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_films_of_the_...

Thanks, Richard.

As I've explained elsewhen, when I got the book Science Fiction Movies by Philip Strick I tried to identify a movie I'd seen on TV and decided it was Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster. But I had doubts even at the time, and I now think that's unlikely. I still want to know what it was.

What complicates things is I've reread what Strick has to say about that movie and I can't for the life of me remember what points of similarity I thought I saw. That means I can't pin down what I remembered at the time about the movie. I think it must have had an astronaut or astronauts in it, but I can't remember or establish anything else about it.

So I've been trying to identify it using the TV guide from a newspaper archived online. It started to carry a guide in late 1975, but that might be early enough, as I was only six then.

I was already a fan of Thunderbirds when I was six - I know that because I was given a Thunderbird 2 toy for my seventh birthday - but I think my interest in SF as a genre crystalised in 1976-77. Strick's book was published in 1976, but I don't know at what end of the year, and I have an idea I got it because it was reduced for sale. So my guess is I got it in 1977 or 1978.

So I've done name searches for all the films from Wikipedia's lists that seem to be possibilities, and put together a list of the ones that were reportedly broadcast in 1975-77 and in the next few years (on the theory that my net might miss the broadcast I saw but catch a subsequent appearance).

The listings for 1975-78 yield seven possibilities:

12 to the Moon

Mission Mars

Terrornauts

First Man into Space

The Wizard of Mars

Mutiny in Outer Space

Conquest of Space

and a few more I've excluded as they seem to have only appeared in evening or overnight slots in that period. I've seen 12 to the Moon and The Wizard of Mars, but I remember so little of the film I don't trust myself to recognise it. I briefly thought it was First Man into Space, as its plot resembles what I thought was the plot before I decided my recollection was corrupted, but I don't remember being scared by the movie and I think it would have scared me when it was broadcast.

The Wikipedia lists are pretty good, but are missing some things: Terrornauts is missing from the 1960s list, Stowaway to the Moon and TV films from the 1970s one.

Painted 'Comics' with 'Speech Bubbles' Found in Ancient Roman Tomb 

This is another title that over-promises, but I thought you'd be interested.

Re. Horror from Beyond (above): I think the plot description is a conflation from two movies. Hence the jump between the sentences. The "It continues to grow" part sounds like X the Unknown. I don't know what movie the first part goes with.

The other listing's description of "The Creeping Flesh" is off too, but that film does have scientist brothers.

This post displaced the thread Is "Carol Marvel" Really Successful? from the homepage.

Was Brave and the Bold #28 the first time Aquaman was on the cover of a comic book?

He was mentioned on the cover of Adventure Comics #103, April 1946, when a number of strips moved over from More Fun.

More Fun #73 (NOV41) contained the first appearances of Aquaman, Green Arrow and Johnny Quick (all created by Mort Weisinger). They weren't mentioned on the cover of #73 but all three were mentioned on the cover of #74. Green Arrow took the More Fun #77 cover away from Doctor Fate and kept it except for a few Johnny Quick covers, until usurped by comedy covers and Superboy. When Weisinger's creations moved to Adventure Comics they never even shared a cover with Superboy. I thought about Aquaman's appearance on this cover, but it came along after the JLA was formed. The Brave and the Bold #28 may be his first cover appearance, as Philip says.

MESSAGES LEFT ON MY ANSWERING MACHINE RECENTLY: All of these were left by an eerily similar computer-generated female voice.

MESSAGE #1:

“…Windows will be stopped on your computer. Call toll free: 1-844-698-8333 to renew the license.

“Attention: The license has been expired. Call toll free: 1-844-698-8333 to renew the license.

“Dear customer: Support of your computer has been expired. Call toll free: 1-844-698-8333 to renew.”

MESSAGE #2:

“…found some suspicious activity in your I-Card account that your I-Card account has been breached. Before using any Apple device please contact the Apple support advisor. Hashline to connect to an Apple support advisor press two to listen to this message again or if you wish to contact us later call on our toll free number 855-297-8444.”

And my favorite…

MESSAGE #3:

“We are calling you from investigation team of IRS. We have just received a notification regarding your tax filings from the headquarters which will get expired in next 24 working hours and once it get expired after that you will be taken under custody by the local cops, as there are four serious allegations pressed on your name at this moment. We would request you to get back to us so that we can discuss about this case before taking any legal action against you. The number to reach us is 516-499-7628 I repeat 516-499-7628. Thank you.”

I’d be tempted to call one of those back just to hear what they have to say, but none of those numbers are “toll free.” Besides, they’ve probably all been disconnected by now.

I knew that Aquaman was never on the cover of More Fun Comics but thought he might have gotten at least a headshot in either Adventure or World's Finest

It's quite possible that young readers might not have even known who he was when B&B #28 came out.

Richard Willis said:

More Fun #73 (NOV41) contained the first appearances of Aquaman, Green Arrow and Johnny Quick (all created by Mort Weisinger). They weren't mentioned on the cover of #73 but all three were mentioned on the cover of #74. Green Arrow took the More Fun #77 cover away from Doctor Fate and kept it except for a few Johnny Quick covers, until usurped by comedy covers and Superboy. When Weisinger's creations moved to Adventure Comics they never even shared a cover with Superboy. I thought about Aquaman's appearance on this cover, but it came along after the JLA was formed. The Brave and the Bold #28 may be his first cover appearance, as Philip says.

To Jeff:

I used to get #3 a few months ago and am still getting #1 now, Both upset my mother terribly as she thought that I was really in trouble even though no name is ever mentioned and that's not how the IRS works! And that any notice about the computer would be sent through the computer!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service