Views: 49893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard of it - never seen it, though.
"Can a traveling salesman from Sirius Five find happiness as an Earthling?" Here's a Dial B for Blog page on a character I hadn't heard of.
Very interesting Luke and capable of being revived!
Funny how the writer keeps misspelling "Charlton."
The fourth instalment in Harry Meydrick of the Simon and Kirby Blog's series on the Golden Age Captain America, covering Captain America Comics from the writing out of Bucky to the cancellation of the title, can be found here. Harry asks that people not copy images from his blog without permission as many of the images are under copyright and some are otherwise unpublished.

I remember Seeing Things with affection. It played on SBS here back in the 80s.

I've been looking at My Greatest Adventure covers. The GCD credits this one and several other early covers to John Prentice. He later took over Rip Kirby after Alex Raymond's death. It credits this one to Leonard Starr, whose later work included the strip Mary Perkins On Stage. This one, by Ruben Moreira, is the first SF/fantasy cover. Moreira was the artist of the long-running Roy Raymond series in Detective Comics.
Here's one by Kirby. He drew a cover with a very similar monster for House of Mystery #79, which came out a bit under a year later. According to the GCD, he only drew the first of the corresponding stories.

This is another striking My Greatest Adventure cover, by Lee Elias.

I have doubts about some of GCD's cover attributions for the title, and I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about a couple. This one is attributed to Bob Brown. It doesn't look like his work to me, but I don't have a better suggestion. The human figure reminds me of Kirby, but the robot doesn't look like one of his. This one is attributed to Lee Elias. I suppose it's possible, but I wondered if it could be by someone else. It's particularly nicely done.
Luke Blanchard said:
I have doubts about some of GCD's cover attributions for the title, and I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions about a couple. This one is attributed to Bob Brown. It doesn't look like his work to me, but I don't have a better suggestion.

Perhaps Howard Sherman?
Harry Meydrick of the Simon and Kirby Blog has posted the fifth instalment in his series on Captain America after Simon and Kirby here. This time the subject is the character's revival in the 50s. Harry asks that people not copy images from his blog without permission as many of the images are under copyright and some are otherwise unpublished.

THOSE DAMNED GORILLAS! This was a 1956 cover. Pierre Boulle's novel Monkey Planet wasn't published until 1963.

This one is another good gorilla cover. The gorillas' expressions are particularly good.

There are some particularly strong moments in the first of these two stories.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service