Views: 49869

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The lady, or the tiger?

("The Lady, or the Tiger?" is a famous short story by Frank. R. Stockton.)

The first depiction of the face of Jonah Hex. From the Dial B for Blog site.

I remember those ads. Apparently they "prettied" Jonah up! Relatively speaking, of course!

I always wondered if Two-Face had any influence on Hex, if any character ever did!

Luke Blanchard said:

The first depiction of the face of Jonah Hex. From the Dial B for Blog site.

Joe Orlando, in this interview, says his appearance was originally supposed to be used to dramatise our dual nature. He mentions Two-Face as a similar character.

I have a theory Two-Face's appearance was inspired by Boris Karloff's character in The Raven (1935), particularly as depicted on the movie posters. Wikipedia's article on Two-Face suggests his origin derives from the second pulp Black Bat's. Apparently he posed as a blind man and could see in the dark. That reminds me of Dr. Mid-Nite, who was actually blind in normal light without his goggles, but could see in the dark.

Luke Blanchard said:

The lady, or the tiger?

("The Lady, or the Tiger?" is a famous short story by Frank. R. Stockton.)

Just read that. Thanks for the link. Great little short story. The panther in the Deadly Hands comic looks very generic. I'm sure I've seen that pose elsewhere.

I'm reading Planet Comics #11. In the "Flint Baker" story the robots of Mars, which do all the manual labour, revolt against the Martians and take over the planet. It's a so-so story but there's a really nice panel showing one of the robots after the takeover casually lounging on a couch.

Luke Blanchard said:

I'm reading Planet Comics #11. In the "Flint Baker" story the robots of Mars, which do all the manual labour, revolt against the Martians and take over the planet. It's a so-so story but there's a really nice panel showing one of the robots after the takeover casually lounging on a couch.

Any relation to this guy?

Hedonism-bot!

Dracula, Sovereign of the Damned. "At this point, the movie becomes sort of like what Arthur 2: On the Rocks might have been if Dudley Moore had been Dracula."

This might interest the Baron. Old photos of Japan.
Interesting stuff - thanks, Luke!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service