Views: 40686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Luke Blanchard said:

I thought I'd find Chop-Chop was added to the cast after Pearl Harbor, in reference to Japan's invasion of China.

Japan had invaded China ten years before Pearl Harbor, so Chop-Chop may have been added to acknowledge that.

As a side-note, Japan took over French Indochina (from Nazi-affiliated Vichy France!) in September 1940. A recent documentary pointed out that the people of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos initially thought that the Japanese Empire would treat them better than the French. Apparently, they treated them worse. The world is still waiting for acknowledgments and apologies from Japan.

Thanks, Richard. I didn't know that about Indochina.

Anti-Japanese content was present in US comics before Pearl Harbor, but there's no anti-Japanese rhetoric from Chop-Chop in his debut story. He seems intended as a comic relief character. Genghis and his horde in #7 might be stand-ins for them, but I don't think so.

Luke Blanchard said:

Japan surrendered in Aug. 1945, and Quality changed the title to Modern with the next issue, #43.

That should be #44.

Well, it will be interesting to see what Spielberg does with the Blackhawks, in any case.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service