Views: 43763

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brian Cronin has an article here on whether it's true Captain America first threw his shield in a text story Stan Lee wrote in Captain America Comics #3. He holds it is, but I think he misses a point. Apparently, Cap first threw his shield in a comics story in the next issue. Lee was working at Marvel, so he could have seen the story before it was printed and imitated the idea.

The other thing is Cap doesn't just throw his shield: he bounces it off things and it ricochets back to him, and he can throw it so it returns to him like a boomerang. I'm not in a position to say when he first started doing that. It wouldn't surprise me if he never did it before the Silver Age, and the idea was subconsciously inspired by Thor's control over his hammer. But they did come up with cool stuff in the Golden Age, so it could be a Golden Age thing. It does ricochet off the guy Cap throws it at on the #4 page Cronin reproduces.

Another thing: in the Silver Age, and in Kirby's run in the 1970s, Cap could also use his shield to slice things. Sometimes he threw the shield so it sliced through guns. I don't know if he ever did that in the Golden Age either. But for that matter, I can't recall seeing that in the 70s/80s outside Kirby's stories.

I had a look at the one story I have from the mid 50s revival to see if he bounced his shield there. That's the story from Men's Adventures #28 reprinted in Marvel Super-Heroes #12. (I have that issue in an Australian B&W digest reprint.) To my surprise, he has the shield in the splash panel, but not in the story.

If you haven’t heard by now, a lot of people got this invitation, including me and a lot of the people on my Facebook feed. Undoubtedly a scam.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Why would the mayor of Carmel, Indiana, send me a LinkedIn invitation?

Immortalized in the Phillip Marlowe stories:

The Gambling Ships off Los Angeles in the 1920s and 1930s.

A lightweight drone being designed to fly on Mars

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-aerovironment-mars-drone-2018...

Ever wondered why the MCU didn't use Kang the Conqueror? Because, technically, he first appeared as Pharaoh Rama-Tut in Fantastic Four.Twentieth Century Fox had the rights to the character.

"Patrick Stewart to Reprise 'Star Trek' Role."

The very definition of "ambivalence."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service