Views: 44588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've heard that LinkedIn can be impersonated as a phishing scam to get your info.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Why would the mayor of Carmel, Indiana, send me a LinkedIn invitation?

"I don't know, Mr. Pete. Why would the mayor of Carmel, Indiana send you a Linkedin invitation?"

Some thoughts on anthologies:

Titles can be anthologies in different senses. They might carry several features in different genres (e.g. early Action Comics or All-American Comics). They might carry several non-series stories in the same genre (e.g. Tales from the Crypt).

Why did they exist at all? I can think of these reasons:

-If you can only afford one comic you might prefer a title that provides you with a variety of kinds of entertainment.

-Artists can only produce so many pages per week or month.

-Readers who liked reading one feature x story per month didn't necessarily want to read a whole issue's worth.

-They allowed publishers to run work by top creators in more than one title.

They have the following advantages:

-New features can be introduced behind popular features.

-Readers may read and like features they would not have bought the title for.

-They can run non-series stories.

-They can run finite serials, or run a feature periodically.

They have these disadvantages:

-A reader might like one or two of the features a lot, but dislike the rest of the issue.

-The slots allotted to the features the reader likes might be too small to be satisfactory.

-Some readers would rather read a whole issue of feature x per month.

Newspaper comics pages and Sunday comics sections are comics anthologies. They suffer from the slots being too short, I think.

I don't know if Hostess Twinkies were ever sold in Australia. I don't believe I've ever had one.

Did all those comics ads ever get any of you to eat one?

I've eaten a few Twinkies over the years but they were never my favorite. I leaned toward the Hostess chocolate cupcakes. I don't think the comics ads influenced me.

On anthologies: Also, the earliest comic books were reprints of newspaper comics. Publishers would have had to run several features to fill the page count. I dislike the anthology fomat myself. I generally end up being interested in only one or two features, yet am "forced" to buy the whole packages. Anthologies I have bought in the past include Comics Revue, Action Comics Weekly and Dark Horse Presents.

On Twinkies: My mom would buy a variety of Hostess dsnack cakes, not just Twinkies. She also skewed to the off brands, such as Little Debbie. I went through a phase in junior high school in which I ate Hostess fuit pies, but the comic book ads didn't have anything to do with it. (I mostly thought those were stupid and a waste of my time to read.) My favorite Twinkie-related stories are the ones from a few years ago when Hostess was going out of business or was going to stop making them and people were paying exorbitant amounts of money for boxes on the internet. I saw one woman lamenting on TV that her children were going to have to grow up without knowing Twinkies. As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon."

I remember one of the Hostess ads featured Marvel's Captain Marvel at a time when I could never find any of his comics. I knew him from an appearance in our edition of Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia.

Ha!

JD DeLuzio said:

"I don't know, Mr. Pete. Why would the mayor of Carmel, Indiana send you a Linkedin invitation?"

I was thinking recently that Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen was a lot like Get Smart. Like Smart, Jimmy was someone who screws up and can be clueless but somehow comes through.

Kirby's Black Panther run was like his version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. But of course, Black Panther came first.

I always liked the orange ones; Twinkies not so much.

Richard Willis said:

I've eaten a few Twinkies over the years but they were never my favorite. I leaned toward the Hostess chocolate cupcakes. I don't think the comics ads influenced me.

I did like the orange cupcakes, but they were harder to find. At Christmas time they would sell small (soft) fruitcakes which were childhood favorites of mine. The new company seems to have dropped them.  I've been big on their "fried pies*" and still have an occasional one. The new company using the Hostess name is almost as good. It annoys me that they have followed the original company's recent policy of selling (and baking, presumably) the apple and cherry pies in Southern California while the berry and lemon ones (my favorites) are only available in Northern California. The next time I take a 400-mile road trip I'll probably pick some up.

*King of the Hill reference

Thanks, gents.

I've been looking at the covers from the third series of Amazing Adventures, which reprinted early X-Men stories and ran from 1979-80. When it started Marvel (and DC) titles had 17 pages, too few to reprint a whole issue. So Marvel split them in half and backed the halves with stories from the origins of the X-Men series that ran later. This meant new covers had to be supplied for the halves that didn't get the original.

With #12 the page-count went up, but the previous issue had the first half of a story, so the issue had the other half, backed, the GCD tells me, by a Nick Fury story from Strange Tales. The remaining two issues reprinted whole issues.

John Byrne did the covers for #6 and #9. I thought they might be of interest to fans of his X-work, so here they are:

Images from the GCD.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service