Views: 44784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do like how Byrne drew (draws) the original X-Men. Thanks, Luke!

275(!) cosplay photos from San Diego. My favorite is the Iron Dog.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

On Twinkies: My mom would buy a variety of Hostess snack cakes, not just Twinkies. She also skewed to the off brands, such as Little Debbie.

"Off brand"??? Anyone who disses Little Debbie is just itchin' for a fight in my house!

I believe Little Debbie (like 7-11 stores) started in the South. Little Debbie cakes didn't show up in California until a few years ago.

Yeah, Little Debbie was at least as popular as Hostess, or moreso, all my my life. And I've lived in the South my whole life.

"'Off brand'??? Anyone who disses Little Debbie is just itchin' for a fight in my house!"

I shall keep that in mind should I ever come for a visit.

Little Debbie comes from the Chattanooga area.

To which you are always welcome.   photo beer.gif

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"'Off brand'??? Anyone who disses Little Debbie is just itchin' for a fight in my house!"

I shall keep that in mind should I ever come for a visit.

Articles on Katherine Hepburn frequently note she was labelled "box office poison" in the late 1930s. It's misleading, as she was just one of several actors listed in the article. Wikipedia has an account of the article here.

Just look how happy the little guy is!

Alexandra Kitty said:

I don't think I have done that in years...

Jack Kirby's work at DC in the 1970s, by release date

1970: Jimmy Olsen, Forever People, New Gods

Aug. 1970 Kirby's Jimmy Olsen run commences with #133

Oct. 1970-Jan 1971 Neal Adams does the covers for Jimmy Olsen #134-#136

Dec. 1970 Forever People and New Gods commence

1971: Jimmy Olsen, Forever People, New Gods, Mister Miracle, In the Days of the Mob, Spirit World

Jan. 1971 Mister Miracle commences

Apr. 1971 Kirby does the cover for Super DC Giant S-25 (with Challengers reprints)

Jun. 1971 In the Days of the Mob appears

DC adds reprint pages to its standard format and raises the price

Aug. 1971 Spirit World appears; cover redrawn by Adams

1972: Jimmy Olsen, Forever People, New Gods, Mister Miracle, The Demon, Kamandi, Spirit World inventory 

Jan. 1972 Adams takes over the covers of Jimmy Olsen for Kirby's final two issues

Feb. 1972 Kirby's run on Jimmy Olsen ends with #148

May 1972-Sep. 1972 Spirit World inventory stories in Weird Mystery Tales #1-#3; Nick Cardy's cover for #3 represents Kirby's story

May 1972 Spirit World inventory story in Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #6    

DC drops the reprint pages from its standard format and lowers the price

Jun. 1972 The Demon commences

Jul. 1972 Mister Miracle's post-Fourth World phase commences with #10

Aug. 1972 Kamandi commences

Forever People and New Gods end

1973: Mister Miracle, The Demon, Kamandi

May 1973 Shilo Norman added to the cast of Mister Miracle

Oct. 1973 The Demon ends

Nov. 1973 Mister Miracle ends

1974: Kamandi, OMAC, Our Fighting Forces, Sandman one-shot

Jan. 1974 Sandman one-shot; co-credited to Joe Simon

Jun. 1974 OMAC commences

Jul. 1974 Kirby's Our Fighting Forces run commences with #151; Joe Kubert does the first cover; Kirby then does them to #159

1975: Kamandi, OMAC, Our Fighting Forces, Justice, Inc., Sandman, one-offs

Jan. 1975-Mar. 1975 Kirby does the covers for Sandman #2-#3; the stories were by Michael Fleisher and Ernie Chua

Jan. 1975 "Atlas" featured in 1st Issue Special #1

Apr. 1975 Kirby commences his run drawing Justice, Inc. with #2; writing credited to Denny O'Neil

May. 1975 Kirby draws Richard Dragon #3 (but not the cover); writing credited to O'Neil

Kirby returns to drawing Sandman with #4; writing credited to Fleisher 

"Manhunter" featured in 1st Issue Special #5

Jun. 1975 "Dingbats" featured in 1st Issue Special #6

Jul. 1975 Gerry Conway credited as editor of Kamandi from #34

Kubert replaces Kirby on the covers of Kamandi and Our Fighting Forces

Aug. 1975 OMAC and Justice, Inc. end; Kubert draws the final covers for both

Sep. 1975 Kirby's Our Fighting Forces run ends with #162; Ernie Chua does the cover for his last issue

Sandman ends; final cover based on interior art

Nov. 1975 Kobra commences; first issue altered from story by Kirby and Steve Sherman intended for 1st Issue Special

Nov. 1975-Jan. 1976 Gerry Conway credited as the writer of Kirby's final three issues of Kamandi, #38-#40

At some point Kirby also drew stories for two proposed romance comics, True Divorce Cases and Soul Love.

Kirby reportedly did more "Dingbats" stories that weren't used.

Kirby drew one more issue of Sandman. The story first appeared in the digest Best of DC #22.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service