Replies

• 1936950348?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I've not read Slott's work in awhile. My experience of his work is he has a golden touch.

He wrote the Thing's short-lived 2006 series. He also used Earth-A in She-Hulk, and the Champion from Marvel Two-in-One.

• NO Thing turns back to Ben Grimm!

NO pregnancies for Sue!

NO imprisoned by Doctor Doom!

NO Sub-Mariner pining for Sue! For Johnny...maybe.

NO odd girlfriends for Johnny!

And most importantly, 

NO MORE GALACTUS!

Stop strip-mining the past and go in some new directions!

• Doom and Galactus are "good guys" these days, or at least, they were the last time I checked.

• I agree completely about not strip-mining the past. The best Lee-Kirby regurgitation was John Byrne's, and I loved it, but between the original and Byrne, I've seen all I ever need to see of those themes. 

So, agreed: Let's leave Dr. Doom, Ben Grimm, Galactus and Sub-Mariner on the shelf for a good, long while.

I also agree about the Torch-girlfriend thing. Yes, Johnny Storm needs to grow as a character, because he can't be the teenage hot-rod loving hothead he was in 1961. But making him an idiot and a girl-chaser isn't an improvement.

Nor was having him date Medusa. Really? Medusa? I find that verrrrry hard to believe.

I don't care if Sue gets pregnant again. Well, wait -- yeah, I kinda do. That's really boring, and we've been there three times. So, yeah, I agree on that, too.

I thought the direction Jonathan Hickman was going is closest to what I want to see, but it just wasn't interesting enough.He understood the FF should be explorers, not superheroes -- and their hopefully new supporting cast and status quo should grow from that. 

Hickman did some of that with the Future Foundation, but I didn't care for any of the characters associated with it. Well, except Dragon Man, which was kinda cute (but I preferred him as dog-like rather than a Hank McCoy clone). The two mutant kids and the Mole people added nothing and were just boring. I guess this is what happens when you don't get extra money for creating cool characters -- you just don't create any.

But that's what I want: A cosmic-powered Challengers of the Unknown with an ever-growing family. Heck, let Johnny and Ben mature a little, and give the squabbling aspect to some new characters who are younger. Or something.

Just please don't regurgitate the first 100 issues. Again.

• They should not try to make Reed and Ben war buddies.

• Two things I liked about Mark Waid's run on the Fantastic Four -- and for that matter, his runs on Captain America:

1) You didn't need a graduate degree in continuity to enjoy it. He charted his own course rather than wallow in all those old stories. He didn't spend energy refuting them or retconning them; he just ignored them.

2) Somehow, he found something fresh that had never been done before in characters that had appeared in hundreds upon hundreds of stories that span multiple decades. For example, Waid had President Cl*nt*n exile Captain America, and had him live for a long while without his indestructible shield. 

In the Fantastic Four, it was Waid who repopularized the notion that the Fantastic Four are explorers, not superheroes. And let us know Reed Richards harbors secret guilt over turning his family into monsters.

Any new Fantastic Four series needs to accomplish those things to be a success in my eyes.

And I agree: Let's have a moratorium on Dr. Doom, Ben Grimm's angst, Galactus and the Sub-Mariner.

• Wait somehow wrote a Dr. Doom story I did not expect that gave me chills.

• That's what I mean about finding something fresh that had never been done before in characters that had appeared in hundreds upon hundreds of stories. We had lots of stories that told us Doom was a nobleman, but Waid reminded us he's a monster. His Doom reconnected with the love of his life, and then coldly sacrificed her to meet his goals.

Give me a fresh Doom story like that, and I won't complain that it's just another Doom story. Give me just another Doom story, and you've lost me.

• I was disappointed that the New York Times story didn't nail down why Marvel took the Fantastic Four and the Fantastic Four out of circulation. I expected better than just regurgitating rumors from Bleeding Cool.

This reply was deleted.