This is a discussion of the " Aquaman " movie.Out " SPOILERS  at the top of posts that include thhem. I just saw the movie, on this night. 

Views: 353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was troubled by that scene early on.  However, later in the movie Arthur realizes it was a mistake.  Not just because it gave Black Manta his motivation but because it was simply wrong.  It showed growth on his part.  Did I read too much into it?

I totally agree regarding Tom and Atlanna, as well as the father/son dynamic.  Speaking of the Tom/Arthur dynamic, the early scene in the bar with the biker types was fun.  It played against expectations, although it makes it hard to believe that Dr. Shin (?) can’t locate Aquaman or find definitive proof of his existence.

The relationship between Mera and her father was also important.

ClarkKent_DC said:

• Interesting that Aquaman refuses to help free the trapped Michael Beach. I read Peter David's comments on that -- he weighed in as the long-haired, bearded, macho Aquaman he came up with is a partial template for this movie's version -- and he was kind of disappointed. But it says to me that the people who make DC movies still don't believe in heroes, which is why their movies are lesser than Marvel movies.
  • I liked hanging the movie on the romance between Tom Curry and Atlanna, a lot. I knew of it, but I hadn't read any story that showed it. But it works, and works well.
  • Likewise the father-son bond with Aquaman and his dad.

ClarkKent_DC said:

• Interesting that Aquaman refuses to help free the trapped Michael Beach. I read Peter David's comments on that -- he weighed in as the long-haired, bearded, macho Aquaman he came up with is a partial template for this movie's version -- and he was kind of disappointed. But it says to me that the people who make DC movies still don't believe in heroes, which is why their movies are lesser than Marvel movies.

Dave Palmer said:

I was troubled by that scene early on.  However, later in the movie Arthur realizes it was a mistake.  Not just because it gave Black Manta his motivation but because it was simply wrong.  It showed growth on his part.  Did I read too much into it?

No, I don't think you read too much into it. For my part, I'm not impressed with Hollywood's way of showing growth by making somebody do something egregiously wrong to then learn how wrong it was.

Like in Man of Steel. Not just Superman breaking Zod's neck, but also Superman letting Jonathan Kent die in the tornado and going to a church to mope about it and whine to a priest "Did I do the right thing?" NO, IDIOT, YOU DID NOT photo mad2.gif

Good point.

ClarkKent_DC said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

Dave Palmer said:

No, I don't think you read too much into it. For my part, I'm not impressed with Hollywood's way of showing growth by making somebody do something egregiously wrong to then learn how wrong it was.

Like in Man of Steel. Not just Superman breaking Zod's neck, but also Superman letting Jonathan Kent die in the tornado and going to a church to mope about it and whine to a priest "Did I do the right thing?" NO, IDIOT, YOU DID NOT photo mad2.gif

I thought it made sense given his character at the time. Although I saw it with a friend who was didn't like it either. My trouble with DC in the past has always been that the characters are too squeaky-clean from the get-go. I thought this depiction of Aquaman acted like a human would act. Then, later on, he became more heroic, which pushed him beyond human. 

If there is no change from the character at the beginning of a film to the end of the film, it's just not an interesting story to me.

ClarkKent_DC said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I thought it made sense given his character at the time. Although I saw it with a friend who was didn't like it either. My trouble with DC in the past has always been that the characters are too squeaky-clean from the get-go. I thought this depiction of Aquaman acted like a human would act. Then, later on, he became more heroic, which pushed him beyond human. 

If there is no change from the character at the beginning of a film to the end of the film, it's just not an interesting story to me.

It was enough for me to see Arthur go from wanting to stay out of the war between Atlantis and the surface world to accepting that he was in a unique position to end it and prevent all the harm it would cause.

But I like "squeaky-clean from the get-go."  I think Hollywood is so wedded to making characters "edgy" and "different" that it doesn't even notice it winds up making them all the same, whether or not that works for any particular character. Case in point: Man of Steel.

...I will, very possibly, set myself up for jesting with this revelation, and that's why I'm posted about the Super DC Giant Akky ish first, but...I saw the movie, I will not say " rhymes-with-' loaned ' " (koaned?)...but I was affected/under the influence of a $3 pot edible of THC'd grape jelly-flavored gummi-type.  I have recently taken to using marijuana edibles, mostly due to my aging bad back. I wanted to see Aquaman anyway - but I did decide to see it that way. There was a bit of a hanging-around delay in a pizzeria before I could get to the start of the plex's screening at the right time - Maybe that means the effect didn't hit me at the right time, maybe it did. It made me a little more clumsy on my feet - Actually, I just felt a bit more focused and in the groove. I'm afraid no vintage NATIONAL LAMPOON scenario of " Oh, wow, I'm talking to God, no, I'm talking to George Harrison, no, I'm talking to Peter Max, no, I'm talking to my grandmother's Persian rug. " storyline took place. It was not at all the first time I'd et the edibles whether THC or CBD, but it was the first time I'd set out to see a movie that way!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service