Replies

• I'll repost what I posted at the movie discussion. No real spoilers here, just opinion:

Aquaman is a visually stunning film that could have been a good one as well. Every once in awhile, it tries to become DC's answer to Thor:Ragnarok or the Guardians of the Galaxy, and then it works. It needed fewer cool visuals, more characters, less tonal coherence, and a serious edit of plots. As I see it,  we have something that plays like the highlights from maybe five seasons of the world's most expensive superhero TV show.

• Some days, you're just in the mood for a big, dumb action movie with some cool visuals. This film scratched that itch nicely, and Jason Momoa was just fine. The Lad and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • ...I saw it flat. Did anyone else see it
    3-D???
    I guess there was a mid-credits teaser scene but not a literal post-credits one???
  • I enjoyed Aquaman quite a bit, although I don't think there was an original thought in it. Atlantis looked like it was lifted from a Star Wars prequel, Aquaman's quest had most of the elements from Joseph Campbell's monomyth, we've seen the "war with the step-brother" bit in a lot of places (including Thor) and so forth. Even the chase through the Sicilian town reminded me of a James Bond movie, whose name I've forgotten (it had Daniel Craig in it.)

But Momoa was fun, and I loved that they didn't bother even explaining how powerful Mera was --- and that she WAS that powerful. It's like the filmmakers said, "She's badass, kids, deal with it!" Amber Heard sure looked the part, although she was kinda stiff -- which might be from the dialogue she was given, so I can let it go.

I have a question, though. In the movie, Aquaman and Mera meet for the first time. But weren't they on conversational terms in Justice League? And I'm pretty sure they made reference to Justice League, so this happens after. Can anybody shed some light?

Anyway, it was a lot of big, mindless fun with outstanding special effects, and I had a good time.

• ...I can actually answer a direct question here - IIRC, the movie has th' Aquafolks meeting fairly early in the Eighties... Jumping forward, I think the adult Arthur is is first shown meeting Mera sometime in the Double-Zsroes? Then, we jump ahead to modern times, post-the events of JUSTICE LEAGUE...and its firmly AurMr now?

Myself, I also was thinking that the score music sure seemed to be formula - and, IIRC, John Williams forty years ago established this template with STAR WARD and SUPERMAN?

• I haven't seen it yet, but I was happy that it's the #1 movie two weeks in a row. Naysayers had predicted it wouldn't do well. 

• It was ok.  It won't be remembered for its originality, but it was fun enough for what it was.

It really feels different from a Zack Snyder movie, and it is clearly well informed by a few decades of Aquaman comics.  I think that no other DC movie except arguably Green Lantern ever suited itself nearly as well to sequels and continuations.

My understanding is that after the reception for Justice League DC has let go of the DCEU concept and is now allowing each movie to stand on its own, continuity-wise, with no real expectations of a long plot or shared continuity.

This movie tells me that this was probably the right call.

• It's kinda like DC and Marvel in the movies is like DC and Marvel in the '60s. Marvel was continuity-driven, whereas DC's heroes more or less stood alone (or, more accuratelyh, in separate offices), except in team and team-up books.

• Yes! I've given a presentation on DC/Marvel in the non-comics media at a handful of Cons. There's a long-standing trend of DC and Marvel tending to imitate their older corporate model as they spread into movies and television.

Captain Comics said:

It's kinda like DC and Marvel in the movies is like DC and Marvel in the '60s. Marvel was continuity-driven, whereas DC's heroes more or less stood alone (or, more accuratelyh, in separate offices), except in team and team-up books.

• JD DeLuzio said:

Yes! I've given a presentation on DC/Marvel in the non-comics media at a handful of Cons. There's a long-standing trend of DC and Marvel tending to imitate their older corporate model as they spread into movies and television. 

I think in the case of the movies, the DC movies are trying too hard to be edgy, which wasn't the case in the 60s rivalry.

This reply was deleted.