'Arrow' Season 6

PRESS RELEASE

NEW THREATS EMERGE IN STAR CITY FOR SEASON SIX OF ARROW

Lost and Person of Interest Star Michael Emerson Announced to Join the Cast at Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel; Fan Favorite David Nykl to Return

BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — Hot on the heels of the explosive season five finale, cast and producers of The CW/Warner Bros. Television’s hit DC series Arrow dropped a casting bombshell at the show’s 2017 Comic-Con panel session on Saturday, July 22. In addition to the return of fan-favorite guest star David Nykl (who plays Oliver Queen’s friend/mentor/nemesis, Anatoly Knyazev), the series can look forward to the addition of a landmark actor from the genre series world: Lost star Michael Emerson. Talk about a person of interest!

Michael Emerson will join the series in the recurring role of an unnamed mystery character that has yet to be announced. The Emmy®-winning actor is known worldwide for playing both the enigmatic Benjamin Linus from Lost and the high-tech billionaire Harold Finch in Warner Bros. Television’s Person of Interest.

Arrow returns for its sixth season on October 12 in its new Thursdays 9/8c time period on The CW. Based on the DC characters, the series is executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg, Wendy Mericle and Sarah Schechter. Arrow is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Given some of the casting information we've already seen, we can guess some of the people who survived the explosive (heh!) finale of Season 5.

The woman who plays Black Canary will be back, as will her Earth-2 counterpart, Black Siren (Katie Cassidy). Deathstroke will become a regular.

On the dead side, I think we can count on Merlyn being a goner -- the actor said so on Facebook -- and I think the mother of Oliver's kid will die, just so he has to play daddy.

That's all I know, and the preview doesn't show any of the good guys except Arrow, Deathstroke and Canary. They wouldn't dare kill Felicty or Diggle, would they?

• No comments yet?

While unexceptional so far, this season is solid, like Arrow usually is.

My only complaints so far are that in an attempt to make the FBI agent investigating Oliver a legitimate threat/character, the writers have gone overboard -- what she's doing is harassment, and being the mayor, Ollie could do something about it. Oh, and I hate the kid, because I always hate kids in action/adventure stuff.

One really good thing: I never thought I'd say this, but I really like Katie Cassidy's work this season. She's a much better bad girl than a love interest.

• Since she's not the world's greatest actress, Cassidy's coldness as a villain seems easier to pull off.

Now they're bringing back Deathstroke.

• On November 27 and 28, The CW will air this year's Arrowverse crossover, Crisis on Earth-X.

This week only, Arrow will follow Supergirl on Monday. Supergirl and Arrow will be parts one and two. Flash and Legends of Tomorrow will be parts three and four.

1936926564?profile=original

• I just binge-watched the season to date, so this comment may be a week or too late, but ... Ollie just namechecked Bruce Wayne. Has that happened before?
  • I know that "Wayne Tech" has been referenced in the past, but I believe that this is the first time that Bruce himself has been name-dropped.

There have also been a couple of hints that imply Batman may actually be active on Supergirl's Earth.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I just binge-watched the season to date, so this comment may be a week or too late, but ... Ollie just namechecked Bruce Wayne. Has that happened before?
  • Who saw the mid-season finale? Watched it last night, and while some of it seemed artificial -- why was Ollie so certain it was one of the team? It could have been his son, or some of his enemies who know his ID -- but it played out as it should, with everyone getting pretty pissed off with being spied on.

One of my complaints about the show -- and they are few -- is that the team members get short shrift on their motivations. Why are they so willing to obey Ollie? Why are they motivated to be vigilantes? I mean, I'm sure we've been told, but not powerfully enough or often enough that it stuck with me. I don't remember why Wild Dog does what he does; all episodes about him center around his daughter (which I find boring). Mr. Terrific really isn't very good at this; why isn't he just The Guy in the Chair? He seems better suited for that. And I don't know anything at all about the new Canary, except that she used to be a police officer in Chicago (and somehow still is in Star City), and has an ex-partner/boyfriend who's a bad guy now.

So this episode showed us where the line was for these guys, and gave us a bit more characterization. Also, the bad guy team bodes really badly for what's left of Team Arrow. Evidently, stuff going back to the beginning of the season was part of the top bad guy's plan. So Diggle was being manipulated. Canary is being manipulated. They probably all are, in one form or another.

This is good comics. Ready for Jan. 18!

• While watching this, I noted that the "team breaks up" comic book cliché was in play. Like you, I thought that there were at least a few people outside of Oliver's team who could have revealed his identity. I think the fight scenes are better choreographed than they had been, and are shorter. The group being manipulated by a group of villains looks promising. I'm not sure if Black Siren's letting Daddy Lance go was real or faked by her. I like that the new Black Canary has her original name, Dinah Drake.

• I know this is an ongoing story this season, but last night's episode really struck me that this is what the classic "good guys fight with each other" looks like in live action, and not written for eight-year-olds.  It's still very pulpy and melodrama-y, but the stakes are real, both sides have a point, and it's not about a dumb misunderstanding.  Friends (or, at least, allies) are lining up on opposite sides, over things that matter to them, and taking swings at each other.  People are getting hurt, and the more that happens, the angrier it all gets.

This reply was deleted.