AVENGERS. “And There Came Another Day…”

There are some interesting threads on this forum, already covering issues of Marvel’s early series – ‘re-reading’’ of the Avengers and Journey into Mystery/Thor and so on and there was quite a good issue by issue thread on the Invaders around too, until it caught up with the present.
What is more rarely discussed are the later periods when these series were in full flow and while perhaps less iconic still number among them some classics…

I therefore present to you an issue by issue critique/discussion forum for one of these mainstay Marvel titles.
Not beginning at the very debut – as others have that covered well – but (and I hope I don’t step on anyone’s creative toes here!) – I would like to pick up the Avengers title after a watershed/bookend issue provided an opportune point at which to begin …
Issue #100 featured all Avengers to that point together in one tale and everything that goes before it is pretty well easily contained by then. The next issue launches the title into its second century of publishing and its next phase of greatness…

What has gone before…?
And so there came a Day…

The formation of the team.
The Hulk leaving. Captain America’s return. The Original members giving way to Cap’s kooky Quartet.
Goliath and Wasp returning. Hercules coming and going. The creation of Ultron. The arrival of the Vision.
Yellow jacket Hawkeye as Goliath II and then back again. The Squadron Sinister/Supreme. The Kree-Skrull War and of course…the Lady Liberators!
(I’m sure you’ll have your own highlights!)

And so there came ANOTHER Day…

Views: 25279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Art-wise, we are still in a good to very good (tho not quite great) era for the book in my opinion.  I like the Byrne/Janson combination for the reasons you state Richard.  I was a bit surprised #184 had so many inkers as to my eye it look fairly consistent.  I've seen plenty of comics from this era with multiple inkers - a number in this series - and the finished product has wildly varying quality throughout, not here though.  I wish the book had Janson consistently, or someone like Terry Austin over Byrne's pencils.

You get your wish going forward as I think Dan Green inks a number of issues. Not Byrne's best inker (IMO) but not overpowering and he brings some consistency.

Btw: Some sources list Brett Breeding as an inker on this issue but I don't think he was working at Marvel yet. I'm more inclined to believe the wiki that lists Austin, Rubinstein, Gordon and Janson as inkers for this issue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service