AVENGERS. “And There Came Another Day…”

There are some interesting threads on this forum, already covering issues of Marvel’s early series – ‘re-reading’’ of the Avengers and Journey into Mystery/Thor and so on and there was quite a good issue by issue thread on the Invaders around too, until it caught up with the present.
What is more rarely discussed are the later periods when these series were in full flow and while perhaps less iconic still number among them some classics…

I therefore present to you an issue by issue critique/discussion forum for one of these mainstay Marvel titles.
Not beginning at the very debut – as others have that covered well – but (and I hope I don’t step on anyone’s creative toes here!) – I would like to pick up the Avengers title after a watershed/bookend issue provided an opportune point at which to begin …
Issue #100 featured all Avengers to that point together in one tale and everything that goes before it is pretty well easily contained by then. The next issue launches the title into its second century of publishing and its next phase of greatness…

What has gone before…?
And so there came a Day…

The formation of the team.
The Hulk leaving. Captain America’s return. The Original members giving way to Cap’s kooky Quartet.
Goliath and Wasp returning. Hercules coming and going. The creation of Ultron. The arrival of the Vision.
Yellow jacket Hawkeye as Goliath II and then back again. The Squadron Sinister/Supreme. The Kree-Skrull War and of course…the Lady Liberators!
(I’m sure you’ll have your own highlights!)

And so there came ANOTHER Day…

Views: 26238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's odd that Mort didn't rule out Superboy and others visiting from the 20th century. They must have had adventures when only the 30th century members were available.

Obviously, the whole tax business was just a fig leaf to provide some kind of in-story motivation for the editorial mandate that Superboy be written out of the LSH.  I'd rather have seen him suffering some ill-effects from all the memory tampering that had been going on to keep him from recalling anything about his own future, so the Legion would have no choice but to make him stay away (undoubtedly with more mind-tampering, because that trick never backfires).  The tax thing was pretty weak, if only because it wouldn't have been hard to produce proof that Kal-El was legally dead as of the 30th century.  At least, I think he was--I know that there was at least one story in which the death of Supergirl was presented as an historical fact in her own feature (a history book from the future found its way into the Stanhope College Library), but I don't recall any direct mention of Superman actually dying, even in the 30th Century Superman stories.  His biggest future revelation was always who he'd marry.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service