I've sat through the NEW 52 and only bitched a little. I'm actually enjoying most of the Marvel NOW books. I understand that books are written for me exclusively, and when I don't like a book, I normally walk away from it quietly without much grousing.

I want to make that clear so that when I say I HATE the first issue of AVENGERS ARENA, you know I mean it. 

I don't care what the second issue, or the third, or the fourth, fifth, sixth or tenth bring--I'm out. If I saw this book lying on the floor of my living room, I'd scold my dogs for abandoning their house training.

Views: 965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed, the mighty SILENCE! podcast from the Mindless Ones site.  I find it to be most Quent for my purposes.  They are witty men.  Greg Land shall henceforth be known as "The GLand" down my way.

"The Gland" is my favorite reference on that show! I rue the fact that the Gland is going to be doing the art chores on the next Avengers magazine.

It depends.  Maybe they've got various bases covered once everything is wrapped up. 

And anyway, the revolving door of death, and all that.  Anyone who reads Fear Itself, need ever fear that death will mean anything for any Marvel characters ever again.

The Silence boys did mention that the creators are in something of a cleft stick, in that they can't say completely that "It's OK, we've got a longterm plan that will leave everyone OK at the end" because this will put off those readers who are in it to see: "Woohoo, lotsa kids dying horribly!"   And vice-versa...

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It sounds to me like a comic that's treading the dangerous path of being good in and of itself, but possibly bad for the fictional universe at large. 

It's especially sad because he will be drawing the scripts from a writer who has been getting great reviews for his work on 2000AD and Judge Dredd, who could do very interesting things with Marvel properties.  Way to hobble him out of the gate!

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

"The Gland" is my favorite reference on that show! I rue the fact that the Gland is going to be doing the art chores on the next Avengers magazine.

I knew that the writer was a 2000 AD writer. My hope is that, before the Gland can mess things up, he will have to have a fill-in artist who will become the regular artist. There's no reason that the non-whitey version of the Avengers needs to be drawn by the Gland. Or any version of the Avengers, for that matter.

Figserello said:

It's especially sad because he will be drawing the scripts from a writer who has been getting great reviews for his work on 2000AD and Judge Dredd, who could do very interesting things with Marvel properties.  Way to hobble him out of the gate!

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

Or anything at all, come to that...  :-)

Exactly! The Gland is one artist who I wish would find a spot in the New 52 at DC. Then I would never have to worry about running into his artwork again!

Figserello said:

Or anything at all, come to that...  :-)

Aaggh! With issue 14, we get the first part of Cullen Bloodstone's story as he tells it to Hazmat, but we will have to wait for the next issue to hear the rest of it.

By the way, I really hate Nara. I hope she gets harpooned.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service