Batman #1 - Initial Reactions

Another "whim" purchase.  This one's kind of interesting as we're thrown a few curves right out of the gate during a "breakout" from Arkham.  We see Burce interacting with Alfred - who is revealed to secretly be a hologram* - and with Dick, Tim and Damian. (Has no one ever noticed Bruce Wayne's tendency to adopt similar-looking young men every few years?) We see Bruce's new initiative for Gotham and are presented with a mystery of the "Who is the secret traitor?" variety. Not bad. The art is OK, too.

Unlike the Wonder Woman book, we get a good sense of who Bruce's supporting cast, is.

Dunno if I'll follow this, but it's a good start.

*No, I'm just messing with you.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK.  This is probably a stupid question, arising because I haven't bought a floppy since who shot John.  And so what I know about current developments comes entirely from reading reviews, press releases, etc. But here goes anyway.

My understanding is that the New 52 restores Superman to his status as the First Superhero, and that Action Comics #1 is set "5 years ago" in Supey's very early days.  So I assume it's safe to say that, say, 6 years ago, there were no superheroes.  Right?

So how, exactly, can Batman be on his (at least) 3rd Robin already?  (4th, if Jason is still in continuity.)

The guy must go thru Robins like Kleenex.  Does he buy in bulk?

• This, I think, is the problem with the "everybody's continuity except Batman's and Green Lantern's changes" scenario.
  • I think they might use the excuse that Superman is the first superhero the world knows about, so Batman may have been around for a few years as a shadowy 'urban myth' before Supes showed up.
  • You're far from the first to ask that question, Doctor H, and the answer seems to be "wait and see."

To clarify, though: Justice League #1 is set five years ago, and Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern are all established figures in the public awareness at that point (although apparently Batman's been operating more as urban myth at that point, since GL's response to seeing him is "You're real?"). Action Comics #1 takes place sometime before that, as Supes doesn't yet have the costume he's sporting in Justice League #1; instead operating in a t-shirt and jeans.

• Doctor Hmmm? said:
    So how, exactly, can Batman be on his (at least) 3rd Robin already?  (4th, if Jason is still in continuity.)

And remember, Bruce took a year off (the first "52"), did some stuff, and then was dead for a year. So really, it's 4 Robins (Jason is still in continuity. No official status on Stephanie Brown yet.) in just 4 years. Less if he took a little while before Dick showed up...

Head hurt yet? :P

I really liked this issue, with one exception: Bruce is shown to be about a foot taller than Dick, who is about a foot taller than Tim, who is about a foot taller than Damian. Dick should be the same height as Bruce at this point, especially since Dick filled in for Bruce for a year. (According to the internal narration in Nightwing #1.)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• Loved this book! I thought the "Batman and Sons" scene where they were getting dressed before the big socialite engagement was pretty much perfect. Dick is a little on the short side, but that's okay for the artist's interpretation, I suppose. I hate to complain about so wonderful an issue, though. Action, psychological stuff, and plenty of family interaction make this an excellent title.

I expected something totally different based on Snyder's run in Detective Comics, but I'm happy to see that it's no less excellent, just in a different way.

• I really liked this issue, with one exception: Bruce is shown to be about a foot taller than Dick, who is about a foot taller than Tim, who is about a foot taller than Damian. Dick should be the same height as Bruce at this point, especially since Dick filled in for Bruce for a year. (According to the internal narration in Nightwing #1.)

So even if Bruce is as big as Manute Bol, Damian is barely taller than my not-quite-7 year old son?

• As I have stated before, there are going to be issues when Morrison's shiny, armored Ultraman Superman encounters Morrison's Every-Story-Happened Batman. It would make more sense if they have the Dark Knight travel to the DCnU!
  • Doctor Hmmm? said:

I really liked this issue, with one exception: Bruce is shown to be about a foot taller than Dick, who is about a foot taller than Tim, who is about a foot taller than Damian. Dick should be the same height as Bruce at this point, especially since Dick filled in for Bruce for a year. (According to the internal narration in Nightwing #1.)

So even if Bruce is as big as Manute Bol, Damian is barely taller than my not-quite-7 year old son?

In at least one panel, pretty much.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

• Well, why does anyone live in Gotham, really?   "Decent people shouldn't live here. They'd be happier someplace else."
This reply was deleted.