Yes, I'm going to spoil the ending to 'Batman' #24. I have a question to ask about it. Ready?

photo spoiler-1.gif

photo spoiler-1.gif

photo spoiler-1.gif

Not enough? Here's a Baron Break(TM) Spoiler picture:

No? Not enough: OK, more Spoiler warnings:

photo spoiler-1.gif

photo spoiler-1.gif

Whew! That's enough. OK, here's the deal. In the most recent Batman #24 (which shipped June 14), Batman proposes to Catwoman:

How about that?

Well, it probably won't happen. I'm not even going to guess if it's going to happen. (You can, though.) I mean, Superman's married, and Aquaman's engaged. So maybe. But maybe not.

And we won't know for a few months, because it appears that Batman is going to run a flashback story for the next couple of issues.

So while we're waiting, I thought I'd do a column about all the other times Batman married Catwoman. Off the top of my head I can remember:

* Earth-Two Batman married Earth-Two Catwoman (I think in Superman Family #211).

* Batman married Catwoman in JLA: The Nail (I think).

* Batman married Catwoman in John Byrne's Generations (I think). Or was it Batwoman?

* Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle are implied to be a couple at the end of The Dark Knight Rises.

* Alfred fantasizes a marriage in Batman: Brave and Bold.

That's what I remember (and I could be wrong about some of 'em). Where else has it been mentioned or implied that Batman and Catwoman tied the knot? What about the Birds of Prey TV show? (Did they disappear at the same time?). What about Batman: The Animated Series (as a fantasy?)? Batman Beyond? Any of the Batmen in the current Earth-2 series? What am I not thinking of?

Sound off, Legionnaires! If I get enough Bat/Cat nuptials, I'll write a column for the milling mundys!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Birds of Prey TV show was partially based upon the Earth-2 Huntress being the daughter of Batman and Catwoman. Catwoman is murdered and Batman gives up and leaves Gotham. This was explained in the opening of (I think) every episode. There weren't multiple Earths in this concept, which included the shooting of Barbara Gordon (also in the opening of episodes) by the Joker and her becoming Oracle.

• In Birds of Prey I don't know if they were married, but they had Hellena and I think they did vanish at the same time.  In Batman the Animated series I think there was a fantasy sequence Bruce had while under the Mad Hatter's influence where his parents lived, he and Selina were going to be married and he was never Batman.  I don't think anything was said about it in Batman Beyond except when Bruce told Terry about Selina after Terry had a brief fling with 10 from the Royal Flush Gang.  

Personally I like the idea of them getting married.

• I just thought of something. ALl those Elseworlds. Bet he married her in some of those!

• 1.As far as I know the Earth Two Batman's marriage to Catwoman was first established in the Huntress's origin story, in DC Super Stars #17 (1977). But I've not read all his earlier appearances.

If it matters the GCD and DC Indexes consider All-Star Comics #69 the Huntress's debut. It reportedly narrowly beat DC Super Stars #17 onto the stands.

2.I've never read Superman & Batman: Generations. Byrne says in a FAQ answer here that he left the identity of Mrs Batman open.

3.Batman was depicted as married to Batwoman in the Batman II and Robin II stories. They were supposed to be imaginary stories written by Alfred.

Superman's and Batman's wives weren't identified in the Super-Sons stories. DC eventually declared them fantasies the heroes had Superman's super-computer create.

The net tells me Lois married Batman in an imaginary story in Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #89.

4.Ra's Al Ghul married Batman to Talia without his consent in DC Special Series #15.

• The first two Batmen of the New 52 Earth 2 series were married. The first was Bruce Wayne, married to Catwaoman, father of Robin (who became Huntress when she was trapped on Earth 1). He died in the first issue. The second Batman, who showed up in the series' second year, was Bruce's father, Thomas Wayne, and was presumably married to Martha.
  • DC Wikia tells me Batman also married Batwoman in the imaginary story in World's Finest Comics #154.

It also says the story from Batman #300 is set in Batman's future and ends with him contemplating marriage to an unnamed woman he loves (and running for governor).

• The strange story of the Catwoman of Earth-Two is that we saw her death as Mrs. Wayne in the Huntress origin story in DC Super-Stars #17, but didn't see the actual wedding until four years later, in Superman Family #211. Now I've got to look up all those Batman of Earth-Two stories in Brave and Bold and Batman vs. the Justice Society and see where they fit in!

• If you'll pardon me, in DC Super-Stars #17 the origin's splash page shows the wedding, and the account of their history has a shot of the couple leaving the church.

• Luke Blanchard said:

2.I've never read Superman & Batman: Generations. Byrne says in a FAQ answer here that he left the identity of Mrs Batman open.

I've read all three Generations series. We are not told the name of Bruce Wayne's wife in those stories, and the pages are drawn so we don't see her face. 

• Isn't Generations set to be reprinted sometime soon? I hope so. That was back in my "out of reach" days as far as dollar expenditures go. Now, I would love to read a hardback or two containing all of this series.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Luke Blanchard said:

I've read all three Generations series. We are not told the name of Bruce Wayne's wife in those stories, and the pages are drawn so we don't see her face. 

This reply was deleted.