Just thought I'd start a thread about the new graphic novel that hit shelves this week.  There are some big changes to some of the characters, but it still feels very much like Batman.  I think that, for some reason, Batman as a character can be very different (Adam West, Bill Finger, Paul Dini, Frank Miller, Dick Sprang, the Brave and the Bold comic and animated versions) and still be, really, Batman.  When JMS tried to change up Superman, it felt horribly wrong - both in his Earth One book and the Grounded storyline in the regular Superman comic.  Spider-Man kinda has strict perameters, too, to feel like Spider-Man.  But Batman can be dead serious (Nolan) or crazy, loopy ("outrageous!") and it weirdly feels OK. 

Anyway...here's the thread.  Go for it.  I'll add more of my thoughts later.  BUT, I think the big change to Martha Wayne's family history was kinda awesome. 

Views: 683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read Batman Earth One, I thought it was pretty good.  I didn't see anything in it that was more excessive than Batman: Year One, however, I guess comparing it to a Frank Miller book won't really change anyone's mind about heroic intent or violence. ;)

I, personally, liked the changes in Alfred, Gordon, and Bullock; they made the story fresher and helped to really differentiate the alternate take.  Despite it treading the familiar ground of Batman starting out, it felt original and kept my interest.  In my mind, however, the best change of the book was making the Arkhams so important to the creation of Gotham (and Bruce himself).  I thought this was inspired and did more to develop Gotham than the Court of Owls is doing in the regular line.

Throw in the gorgeous art and I would definitely recommend the book.

As to whether this removes Gordon's heroic qualities, I'd say no more than Year One.  If you accept that Batman works outside the law and that Gordon despite the best of intentions can't always fully adhere to the law, then I'd say his actions are not excessively out of regular character.  In my mind, this has less to do with torture and more to do with showing the thug that the previous dictate of "hands off" is no longer in effect.  Further, I really don't think The Killing Joke is something I'd be holding up as a stellar example of a Batman comic that gets the characters right.  In any case, I'd recommend judging for oneself.  Like Jason, I think it's a good read. 

I agree. The introduction of Martha as an Arkham is a really neat concept.
Another thing I liked was giving Harvey Dent a sister. Did he have a sister in other incarnations? We don't see much of either but I'm sure we will in the next chapter.
What this did well was telling a complete story and leaving plenty of room for future stories with lots of potential.

I read it and i enjoyed it. 

As stated, there are changes to characters.  Most of them I like. 

As to the issue of Jim Gordon, I think what Johns did with him is put him in place where he had to react.  What he does to the thug is a reaction.  It may be this reaction becomes the very conviction that leads him to his response in The Killing Joke. 

What I saw in this is a man that got pushed too far.  He gets pushed and he reacts.   Was it right?  No, but we see that Jim Gordon has a breaking point.  I believe that all have one. 

What this does give us a different take on a familiar character.  That is what I believe the intent was.  To requote an old adage: Your mileage may vary. 

Just what does that mean?

I know the name Arkham only in connection to the graphic novel Arkham Assylum.

Jason Marconnet said:

She's an Arkham.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

So what's the change to Martha Wayne's family history?

Jason,

As my LCBS has instituted a policy where they order NOTHING extra, and only the pre-ordered books come in the pull.

Therefore, I have zero chance to see this new book (Is it a TPB?) or anything new, unless I'm reading previews, which I don't.

So, if you've got any suggestions on where I might find or get a copy of this book (Batman: Earth One)to examine or buy, I'm game. What do you suggest?

Arkham asylum was named after someone. In this universe it doesn't state that there is an actuall Arkham Asylum. It does imply that the Arkhams were an influential family in Gotham just like the Waynes.

Kirk G said:

Just what does that mean?

I know the name Arkham only in connection to the graphic novel Arkham Assylum.

Jason Marconnet said:

She's an Arkham.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

So what's the change to Martha Wayne's family history?

It's possible that you can find it at Barnes and Noble or Books A Million.

Kirk G said:

Jason,

As my LCBS has instituted a policy where they order NOTHING extra, and only the pre-ordered books come in the pull.

Therefore, I have zero chance to see this new book (Is it a TPB?) or anything new, unless I'm reading previews, which I don't.

So, if you've got any suggestions on where I might find or get a copy of this book (Batman: Earth One)to examine or buy, I'm game. What do you suggest?

Kirk,

i got my copy from Amazon.  It is a hardcover trade. 

Kirk G said:

Jason Marconnet said:

It's possible that you can find it at Barnes and Noble or Books A Million.

Mike Parnell said:

i got my copy from Amazon.  It is a hardcover trade. 

I would be remiss if I didn't suggest you could also ask your local library to find you a copy. If they don't own it themselves and aren't willing to buy it, they could still try to interlibrary loan it for you.

Is it a trade, a graphic novel or a single issue?

It's an original hardcover graphic novel.

Kirk G said:

Is it a trade, a graphic novel or a single issue?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service