Batman 32 (the conclusion of "The War of Jokes and Riddles") is out today, and we get to learn what Catwoman's answer is to Bruce's proposal from a few months ago. (And we also get to the point of the story he's telling her -- quite literally.) 

What did you all think of the story? And what do you think it means for the future?

I thought "The War of Jokes and Riddles" was a little meander-y, to be honest -- but I thought the last two issues were top-notch, and the payoff was excellent. I'm very happy with the result -- both the end of the story Batman told, and the reason why he was telling it. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Someone at DC -- maybe Tom King, I don't know -- pointed out that if you have Mary Jane say "yes," or Lois Lane say "yes," then the Spider-Man and Superman strips get that much harder, because the main characters are happy.

But when Catwoman says "yes," that opens up all kinds of problems. From the reactions of the Robins to the Justice League to the GCPD (and Commissioner Gordon), Batman marrying a jewel thief is going to raise some issues.

Sounds like a good story springboard.

• Yep!

"Two households, both alike in dignity,
    In fair Gotham, where we lay our scene..."

• So I take it she said yes?

Details...?

• Dear Abby:

None of my friends and family like my new girlfriend. But I think she's really cool and hot and stuff. Plus, she, like, really understands the real me.

What should I do?

Glum in Gotham (aka Rooftop Romeo)

• Dear Abby:

My dad just proposed to his on-again, off-again girlfriend, and she said yes. I got weak as a kitten when I heard the news.

He says she's the cat's meow, but I think he's gone batty. Their entire relationship has been one cat-and-mouse game, and I wouldn't trust her with the family jewels. Plus, she wouldn't fit in with his friends.

They're keeping the engagement a secret for now, but I don't know what will happen when the cat's out of the bag.

What should I do?

Signed,

Bummed in Blüdhaven (aka Bird on the Wing) 

• My wife has known at least two occasions when everyone, including the family of the proposed spouse, has tried to convince a person not to marry a train wreck. I don't think anyone listens to that kind of advise.

• Love the Dear Abby letters!

And yes, Jeff, she said yes. I hesitate to reveal too many details, since it's a really well-executed issue. But Batman confessed a moment weighing on his soul (which I'd rather not spoil), and Catwoman accepts that imperfection, and the pain that comes from it, and acknowledges she has her own -- "all our earned tragedies" is how she puts it. And accepts him for who he is, and asks him to ask her to marry him this time, rather than demand (as he did at the end of 24). And he does. And she says yes.

I loved it. 

• Okay, fair enough. I bought the issue in which he proposed, but I gave a pass to "The War of Jokes and Riddles" (which you yourself descibed as "a little meander-y"), but I'll gice Batman #32 a look next week.

• ClarkKent_DC said:

Dear Abby:

Well played, sir!

• It did meander a bit -- in giving an overview of the whole thing, King spends a lot of time with a birds-eye view that's not completely involving. But it all came together -- and man, this issue hit me hard. 

I think you'll like it. And sorry about not spoiling it! If I could think of a way to just lay out the facts of the plot without diminishing them with a bare description, I might have. But I think developments like this have the most power in the telling, not the plot mechanics.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Okay, fair enough. I bought the issue in which he proposed, but I gave a pass to "The War of Jokes and Riddles" (which you yourself descibed as "a little meander-y"), but I'll gice Batman #32 a look next week.

This reply was deleted.