Not since the launch of Image Comics do I recall the amount of public discussion and debate for several months prior to the release of the actual first issue. Now that the first of the actual comic books has hit the stands, I thought it might be nice to have a thread to discuss the comics themselves, rather than the controversy surrounding them.

MINUTEMEN #1: Elsewhere in this forum, Cap has posted a review of this first issue of the first prequel mini-series. I don’t know whether or not he plans to review each issue of every series individually, but if not, here’s a place to discuss them all. For my own part, I liked the way Darwin Cooke has begun to delve into the origins and backgrounds of characters which had only supporting roles in the Moore/Gibbons original. He’s even manage to successfully mimic some of the storytelling tropes of the classic groundbreaking series.

“So far, so good,” says I.

Views: 1784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...WATCHMEN CROSS OVER INTO EARTH-CHARLTON ?

I'M about , siiggghh , the only one who'd care about that one . :-( I guess .:-(

Watchmen done with the Charlton characters coming soon.

Now quit yer greetin!

Hmm, could be great, or really awful. And what's with the Scots vocabulary word, Figs? Have you got some Scots in your background that you've been hiding?

Figserello said:

Watchmen done with the Charlton characters coming soon.

Now quit yer greetin!

Well, half my neighbours where I grew up were Ulster Scots.

Greetin' seemed better suited to the usage here than any other word.

Yes, Morrison is going way out on a limb with this one.  I don't think it'll be a car crash though.  Something challenging and innovative, that approaches the ownership of the Watchmen characters in a creative and fun way, does look like a better way of honouring Moore's work than just poking him in the eye with a stick.

Yeah, I trust that Morrison will do a seriously bang-up job with this one. Plus Quitely. I mean, come on! Can't wait for this to come out. 2018 can't come soon enough. :P

Figserello said:

Yes, Morrison is going way out on a limb with this one.  I don't think it'll be a car crash though.  Something challenging and innovative, that approaches the ownership of the Watchmen characters in a creative and fun way, does look like a better way of honouring Moore's work than just poking him in the eye with a stick.

Before Watchmen: Minutemen #3- I liked this one a lot. This particular series gets better with each issue.

Silk Spectre is the best title in the Before Watchmen stable:

http://www.rpsteeves.com/2012/09/wrapped-up-like-comic-review-befor...

Both Silk Spectre and Comedian #3 were very good. I like that the majority are only 4 issues. While the Comedian is good it's been a lot of the same, the good same, I'm not sure what'll happen next to warrant 6 issues.

Well, now that we're well and truly into it, I have to say I feel pretty let down. At first I thought, "this'll be like listening to a really good Beatles-esque band, like ELO. Maybe not John, Paul, George and Ringo, but still pretty good" (I mean, hello, "Do Ya?" "Telephone Line?" "Mr. Blue Sky?" That is good stuff!).

But now it feels more like listening to a really good Beatles cover band -- a bunch of guys who can sing and play really well, but trapped into trying to reproduce, say, "Paperback Writer" note-for-note because, well, that's what the folks out there are paying for, right?

I think the Before Watchmen project, and by extension, DC, has once again totally missed the point. Watchmen wasn't really ABOUT Nite Owl, and Rorschach, and the Silk Spectre -- it was a bravura exercise in comic storytelling. It was Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons seeing what they could do with 9 panels a page. The original characters were stand-ins for the Charleton characters, and were really just functional props to allow Moore and Gibbons to execute their experiment.

Now, that being said, I like looking at Darwin Cooke's art. And Amanda Conner's. And I'd be the last one to bash on the late, great Joe Kubert. And as vehicles for looking at the fine work of those individuals, BW does the job competently.

Other than that, eh. They're telling stories that didn't really need telling, and doing it in a way that so slavishly copies the methods and techniques of the original creators that it's about as entertaining as watching a kid copy sentences.

Watchmen was, it seems to me, about trying something new.

Before Watchmen, manifestly, is not. 

I can understand feeling the Before Watchmen titles don't measure up to the original.  I can also understand not enjoying the Before Watchmen titles or having an ethical problem with them, but I am curious, which stories need telling?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I was always astonished at how many Golden Age characters had comedy sidekicks foisted off on them,…"
25 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"I like that he's "not a bad guy" after almost cutting off a man's arm."
38 minutes ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yes-- stated, first episode, in Shirley's vo ("My husband had died six months…"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Normally, I wouldn't criticize a Joe Kubert cover, but the pistol looks like a gerbil."
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Despite Archie being the star, It's Veronica's father who appears the most, especially on…"
2 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I actually found a patriotic/Fourth of July themed Parents cover for today! Besides playing the…"
4 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"To be followed, of course, by Dennis the Menace (UK version) with his parents."
4 hours ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Oooooo......."
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion A Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics
"PLASTIC MAN and JACK COLE At this point, the Smithsonian book book veers, briefly, back into…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"ALIEN ZONE (a.k.a. "THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD") (1978): "A man in town for a…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Inspired by Darin's post directly above, I have chosen Craig Yoe's Super Patriotic Heroes…"
7 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Tomahawk, who fought in the Revolutionary War, and his son Hawk."
7 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service