Apparently, Brian Michael Bendis has signed with DC Comics.   So, which DC characters would you like to see him getting their "voices" wrong working on?

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just keep him the hell away from Superman.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't wind up writing a new character in a New Age of DC Heroes title. And Bendis has also contributed quite a few new characters to the Marvel Universe, most notably Miles Morales and Jessica Jones.

Bendis created Jessica Jones (in the Alias series) in 2001. I don't think he was a big gun at the time. Miles Morales is an offshoot of the Spider-Man series. Both Jessica and Miles are work-for-hire, for which I'm sure he's rewarded handsomely or he wouldn't do it. I'm not saying he couldn't create good new characters. I just don't think he will in today's industry if he can't own them. 

Bendis has tried a number of creator-owned projects, but other than Powers I couldn't name any of them.

I remember reading Goldfish awhile back. Ultimately, I didn't enjoy it.

Captain Comics said:

Bendis has tried a number of creator-owned projects, but other than Powers I couldn't name any of them.

I liked all of those early crime stories: Goldfish, Jinx, and Torso. I know he's been dismissive of the indie path since then (I'm mainly thinking of the famous debate with Robert Kirkman). But he does call his website Jinxworld.

I guess this puts to the end the rumor that he'd write the Fantastic Four if they ever come back.

Richard Willis said:

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'd be a little surprised if he doesn't wind up writing a new character in a New Age of DC Heroes title. And Bendis has also contributed quite a few new characters to the Marvel Universe, most notably Miles Morales and Jessica Jones.

Bendis created Jessica Jones (in the Alias series) in 2001. I don't think he was a big gun at the time. Miles Morales is an offshoot of the Spider-Man series. Both Jessica and Miles are work-for-hire, for which I'm sure he's rewarded handsomely or he wouldn't do it. I'm not saying he couldn't create good new characters. I just don't think he will in today's industry if he can't own them. 

Yes, all I'm saying is that if he was willing to create characters for Marvel as well-compensated work-for-hire, I have no reason to doubt he'll do the same at DC. Especially since, with the New Age of DC Heroes initiative, DC seems to be in a mood to compensate top creators for creating new properties for them.

Also, I think he takes pride in being an important part of Marvel while he was there. And a significant part of that were the new ideas and characters he brought to the publisher. I think that motivation will carry forward to DC, particularly if he stays for a significant amount of time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service