Replies

• The finale, as they say, did stick the landing. 

All this season, we've been seeing Sheldon's circle of friends, and wife, get more and more fed up with his self-centeredness and condescension and less willing to put up with it and more likely to call him out on it. I was quite satisfied in how they dealt with it here. 

Plus, it was pretty clever of the writers to drop a big (and long-awaited) surprise in the first half of the two-parter and a different (and unexpected) big surprise in the second half.

Speaking of Young Sheldon, which I don't usually watch, tonight's episode had a nice coda that fits with The Big Bang Theory finale.

• I thought that the Big Bang series finale was just about perfect, especially Sheldon's acknowledgment of his friends and of his own personal failings. And the elevator was fixed, as many predicted.

Did anyone else catch the Marvel reference? Leonard said he likes his coffee "black and strong, like Luke Cage." I don't remember any Marvel references (or Marvel comics or statues) in this Warner Brothers show.

•    In an early episode I remember one of my favourite scenes that got me hooked on the programme was Marvel-centric. Penny asked for recommendations on which comics to buy as her nephew (I think) was into Spider-Man which led to a "Do you mean 'Amazing Spider-Man' or 'Spectacular Spider Man ' and don't get started on 'Ultimate Spiderman ' etc which  I laughed out loud at.

But you are right,  while there was a lot of Stan Lee there was little references to just Marvel stuff.

Richard Willis said:

I thought that the Big Bang series finale was just about perfect, especially Sheldon's acknowledgment of his friends and of his own personal failings. And the elevator was fixed, as many predicted.

Did anyone else catch the Marvel reference? Leonard said he likes his coffee "black and strong, like Luke Cage." I don't remember any Marvel references (or Marvel comics or statues) in this Warner Brothers show.

• “The finale, as they say, did stick the landing.”

Agreed.

“Speaking of Young Sheldon… tonight's episode had a nice coda that fits with The Big Bang Theory finale.”

For those of you who didn’t see it, at the end of the episode, while the song “Someday we’ll Be Together” played in the background, we were shown scenes of The Big Bang Theory cast as children. They really nailed it. Also, the episode was a nice complement to the The Big Bang Theory finale as it dealt with the possibility of Sheldon one day winning the Nobel Prize.

• Richard Willis said:

Richard Mantle said:

In an early episode I remember one of my favourite scenes that got me hooked on the programme was Marvel-centric. Penny asked for recommendations on which comics to buy as her nephew (I think) was into Spider-Man which led to a "Do you mean 'Amazing Spider-Man' or 'Spectacular Spider Man ' and don't get started on 'Ultimate Spiderman ' etc which  I laughed out loud at.

But you are right,  while there was a lot of Stan Lee there was little references to just Marvel stuff.

I gather that Warners has some hand in the production end, so the show seemed DC-centric -- Sheldon often wore T-shirts featuring DC heroes or logos, and all the visible memorabilia in the apartment and in Stuart's comic shop were of DC characters. But the characters often did speak of Marvel heroes and Marvel movies. 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Speaking of Young Sheldon… tonight's episode had a nice coda that fits with The Big Bang Theory finale.”

For those of you who didn’t see it, at the end of the episode, while the song “Someday we’ll Be Together” played in the background, we were shown scenes of The Big Bang Theory cast as children. They really nailed it. Also, the episode was a nice complement to the The Big Bang Theory finale as it dealt with the possibility of Sheldon one day winning the Nobel Prize.

Matching that song with that scene put it in a whole new light. “Someday We’ll Be Together” is a song about somebody regretting a breakup and hoping to get back with her love.

But here -- as we saw Young Leonard (studying), Young Penny (out cold -- even then she was a party girl),  Young Howard (with his mother off-screen yelling at him to "Turn off that fercockteh video game!"), Young Raj (studying, with a telescope in his room), Young Bernadette (asleep, likely dreaming of her next conquest in the beauty pageant realm), and Young Amy (in her bedroom, reading something forbidden -- Little House on the Prairie -- by the light of a flashlight) -- the song presages a hopeful future for friends who haven't even met each other yet. 

• Young Sheldon seems to be building to something serious next season regarding Dr. Sturgis (unless they simply write him out with a reference). It’s also getting pretty close to the time Sheldon’s father is to have died. Sheldon never has anything good to say about his father on The Big Bang Theory, but on Young Sheldon he’s a pretty decent guy. Maybe Sheldon’s negative feelings later in life are a coping mechanism to deal with his grief. It has already been established that his mother’s deep dive into religion is a coping mechanism.

• I really wish more series finales were like this one. I don't really like the ones where everything suddenly changes and the status quo is brand new, because you don't really get a sense of where it's going. This one, though, I can see these people continuing to be friends and watching each other's kids grow up and continuing to put up with each other for life.

This series has had a very mixed reaction from people like comics fans. I've heard that it's more like they're laughing at us than with us, but I don't see it that way at all. For one of the first times in popular culture, it was cool to be a geek, and we had a television show that supported that. These guys were awesome, but no less geeks.

And these "geeks" were not put on display as one-dimensional characters. They were all shown to be very multi-faceted human beings, every bit as much as anyone else in the world.

I have loved (and will continue to love) this celebration of successful nerds and geeks.

• When you get around to it, CK, I think you would enjoy Young Sheldon. I finally started watching it at the end of the first season and then played catch-up. In addition to the interesting characters and good acting, I appreciate that it doesn't stereotype Texans (even though I'm not a Texan).

It made sense that our eight(?)-year-old high school student Sheldon would lament at the end of the season that he would never have anyone in his life. He has a very difficult time relating to others.

It has been speculated that adult Sheldon is on the autism spectrum; in fact, Jim Parsons has said that he plays him as on the spectrum. Young Sheldon doesn't go out of his way to insult people, but I think that belittling his friends and others is a coping mechanism developed over the decades. Pushing people away before they push him away. His friends obviously can see past that surface.

• When I found out that there was a little connection between the series finale and the season finale of Young Sheldon, I decided to watch that one episode. It was really cool the way they handled it.

This reply was deleted.