Tonight.

(There's going to be a series retrospective after Young Sheldon, too.)

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

When you get around to it, CK, I think you would enjoy Young Sheldon. I finally started watching it at the end of the first season and then played catch-up. In addition to the interesting characters and good acting, I appreciate that it doesn't stereotype Texans (even though I'm not a Texan).

Possibly. There is a Big Bang Theory-shaped hole in my TV schedule now, and Young Sheldon is moving to that spot on the CBS schedule.

On the other hand, I didn't even watch all of the episode featuring the young versions of the cast. I saw the beginning, got distracted, and came back to the TV just before the end -- at the moment Young Sheldon learns nobody's coming to the party he was having to listen to the radio and hear the Nobel Prize announcement. 

(At the start of the episode, he asks his dad to rig an antenna to get the broadcast. Dad is unimpressed and asks, why can't you read about it in the paper the next day? Young Sheldon points out "I could say the same thing about the Super Bowl," and you always watch that. Kid sister says, "He's got you there.")

Back when the show was being launched, it was the cover feature in Parade magazine. Jim Parsons was interested in doing a project based on his childhood in Texas, and they way things tend to go in TV, the idea changed from concept to execution, becoming a Big Bang Theory spinoff. 

The key to making it work, as it often is in TV and film, is in the casting. When they found Iain Armitage, they knew they had a winner. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

“Speaking of Young Sheldon… tonight's episode had a nice coda that fits with The Big Bang Theory finale.”

For those of you who didn’t see it, at the end of the episode, while the song “Someday we’ll Be Together” played in the background, we were shown scenes of The Big Bang Theory cast as children. They really nailed it. Also, the episode was a nice complement to the The Big Bang Theory finale as it dealt with the possibility of Sheldon one day winning the Nobel Prize.

Here's that scene:

And here's a rundown of who the kid actors are: "Young Sheldon: Who Played The Big Bang Theory Cast As Children"

Regarding casting, I would guess that Christine Baranski, who regularly played her, was the voice of young Leonard's mother. Carol Ann Susi, who portrayed the never-seen mother of Howard Wolowitz passed away 4 1/2 years ago. The voice of her younger character was either archival audio or it was performed by Melissa Rauch (Bernadette), who has been know to do a very close version of Howard's mom. If everyone doesn't know, Zoe Perry, who plays Young Sheldon's mom, is the daughter of Laurie Metcalf, who played adult Sheldon's mom. I understand that she also played Metcalf's younger self in flashbacks on the show Rosanne, where Johnny Galecki was a regular cast member.

In my mind, BBT missed the opportunity to pay tribute to the original Star Trek episode, "The Menagerie", something the characters would have loved. I really wanted to see an episode featuring the character Penny replaced in the second pilot, as well as Leonard and Sheldon's fellow scientist coworker (who admits to having slept with Sheldon) in at least one episode  (a two parter, if you really wanted to pay tribute). But, all in all, it was a great way to go out.

I had no idea! How cool!

Richard Willis said:

If everyone doesn't know, Zoe Perry, who plays Young Sheldon's mom, is the daughter of Laurie Metcalf, who played adult Sheldon's mom.

I really enjoyed the finale.  This season had its ups and downs but ended on a high note.  I thought it was neat that we got to see Bernadette and Howard's kids for the first time.  The elevator finally getting fixed was hilarious.  Penny being pregnant was predictable but a nice way to tie in to the first episode when Leonard said their children will be smart and beautiful.  Sheldon hurting his friends' feelings and being oblivious to it felt old hat until Amy tore into him.  It showed how good she is for him.  Sheldon grew a lot over the years but also slid back into his bad old habits a lot too.  The only thing I didn't like was that Raj ended up still a loser and a bit creepy.  Most of his relationships were disasters mainly because of him.  He started out as a guy who couldn't talk to women without alcohol and ended up being a guy who didn't know when to shut up.  Kind of sad Stuart ended up in a happy relationship and Raj didn't.

I was concerned that they were going to stick Raj in a loveless marriage with the woman he was being forced to marry. I'm glad they didn't. If Raj was a real person, I would guess that he will eventually find his match. He's not a bad guy, after all. They probably thought it would be difficult to believe he would suddenly find someone in the last episode.

Now that tracy is back in town we watched the special that followed Young Sheldon and that night's Stephen Colbert. (We didn't watch them last week because Tracy had to get up early on Friday to travel.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service