Black Knight One-Shot (2009)

My biggest (and most pleasant) surprise of the week turned out to be my biggest disappointment. It’s not that this EYKIW was poorly written (by Tom DeFalco) or poorly drawn (by Ron Frenz) so much as it is a continuity implant that is wholly unnecessary. The cover blurb proclaims, “At last! The secret origin of the Black Knight!,” but with the original Stan Lee / Joe Maneely stories now readily available in Marvel Masterworks format, what’s the point of contradicting them? This one-shot doesn’t contradict the letter of the originals (“Hey! It could have happened this way!") as well as all of the stories that came after as it does the spirit of those stories. The artwork is simply gorgeous, but I wish there was some way I could “unread” the story. If you’re looking for a Black Knight one-shot to read, please, please try the “Mystic Arcana” tie-in by Roy Thomas and Tom Grummet from a few years ago rather than this one.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Which Black Knight, anyway? Sir Percy? Nathan Garrett? Dane Whitman?
  • The original, Sir Percy... and his twin brother Richard.
  • Well, that's new! (To me, anyway.)
  • Here's a SPOILER....

The Black Knight we've always known to be Sir Percy was never Sir Percy, but was in fact his brother, Sir Richard, who had assumed his dead brother Percy's identity. Uh, uh... no way. Everything I Know Is Right; this story is wrong.
  • Sounds interesting. I may have to check it out.
  • Okay... don't say I didn't warn ya! ;)

If you do, be sure to check back in here and let us know what you think of it.
  • I read it, and I wanted to read it before I popped in here. It was a pretty good story, and I had never read any of the originals. Obviously this EYKIW didn't affect me at all. Actually I was surprised that Richard ended up being the Black Knight. I figured it to be a pretty straight forward story with the brother who had no fighting prowess becoming the Billy Bad-ass of the Black Knight. I give it a thumbs up myself, and I do love that Frenz art.
This reply was deleted.